Sign in to follow this  
dcoronado

What do You Think

Question

Okay, I have done a few decks and fences now. Fences are pretty easy - don't get me wrong though, they are regular type of wood fences, none to fancy as some of the ones I have seen here.

I am posting pic's of a deck I have done and don't worry - you won't hurt my feelings, tell me how I can make them better.

I do have some issues when I spray the decks, I usually brush about 6-12 inch border from the wall of the house and then spray from that point out. At times you can actually see the brushed in area in comparison to the sprayed area...not sure what you call this; how do I avoid this, other than covering the entire house and spraying everything.

4 answers to this question

Those are called lap marks. I don't know what stain you're using that has something to do with it. But you have to feather the brush strokes out and also don't leave a straight line of feathered out brush strokes when doing the trimming in. You can also cut in and then spray those areas so they don't have too much time to sit. I spray everything when I stain, but I know others here do it differently.

When spraying Ready Seal, I have a guy follow me with a sprayer full of simple green to wet the overspray that gets on the house. Wipes off easy enough, and we just keep moving. Having said that, we tarp most everything off around us when spraying. Used to cut in on areas right up against the house, but never was happy with the extra labor involved, not to mention the lapping issues. Seems to work well for us. Never sprayed next to a vinyl siding structure,however. In that case, overspray a bigger issue that needs more attentiveness. Also, same helper moves along with me with a 2x4 piece of luane board...the splatter board. Helps with tight spaces, reduces over spray.