Sign in to follow this  
rick77

Recently Stained Decks

Question

The house I'm power washing tomorrow has two decks that were stained about 3 days ago. The wood stain is a darker red color sort of like cherry wood.

Will a typical house wash of bleach and Simple Cherry do damage to stained decks? Will the deck spot up from the house mix that splashes onto the wood stain?

I'll check with the owner to make sure the deck has been sealed before power washing the house. It appears to have been sealed but I'm not absolutely sure.

What are some precautions that I can take in order to prevent damaging the deck stain? Water it down really good? Anything else?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

The house I'm power washing tomorrow has two decks that were stained about 3 days ago. The wood stain is a darker red color sort of like cherry wood.

Will a typical house wash of bleach and Simple Cherry do damage to stained decks? Will the deck spot up from the house mix that splashes onto the wood stain?

I'll check with the owner to make sure the deck has been sealed before power washing the house. It appears to have been sealed but I'm not absolutely sure.

What are some precautions that I can take in order to prevent damaging the deck stain? Water it down really good? Anything else?

Thanks!

Yes, it CAN. Rinse the deck with water before, during and after the process.

Beth

I didn't think that a simple cherry house wash with bleach could harm a latex solid stained deck. The homeowner wanted me to hit the deck - it was a rental property, didn't really consider doing a thorough job, especially after he popped it on me after money exchanged hands. So I downstreamed the house - let the deck dwell - hit it again after 30 minutes. Then I rinsed with a #15 tip - and my god, half the latex solid stain came right off the wood! I was amazed and sobered at the same time - so yeah, pre-wet and keep it rinsed!

I washed a house in May that had a deck with 1 week old solid stain. I just wet the windows and deck, soaped up the house, rinsed windows and deck, dwell, rinsed house, rinsed deck again. With that stain only 3 days old, I would definitely try to wash that side while its in the shade. Definitely rinse the mix completely off the deck before you do anything else. Just keep the deck soaking wet, and when you're done with that area rinse again.

edit: I was using simple cherry and 6%.

Edited by weaselcossey

I didn't think that a simple cherry house wash with bleach could harm a latex solid stained deck. The homeowner wanted me to hit the deck - it was a rental property, didn't really consider doing a thorough job, especially after he popped it on me after money exchanged hands. So I downstreamed the house - let the deck dwell - hit it again after 30 minutes. Then I rinsed with a #15 tip - and my god, half the latex solid stain came right off the wood! I was amazed and sobered at the same time - so yeah, pre-wet and keep it rinsed!

See? It can happen. Be careful folks....

Beth

p.s. if you don't have a helper to do it, hook up a sprinkler to do it for you while you wash!

Edited by Beth n Rod
add PS