Sign in to follow this  
FLORIN

Airless sprayer cleanup???

Question

I'm getting a Graco brand professional airless paint sprayer from a painter. It has seen quite a bit of use and has quite a bit of overspray on it and buid up of paints on the pickup tube and sprayer gun. I would like to clean it up really good before using it for my deck staining.What chemicals and process should I use to clean it up. would like to get the outside looking perty but my main concern is the pickup tubes. tthe sprayer. and the inside of the lines and so to not contaminate the stain. What should I use and how not to damage machine.

2 answers to this question

If it been used heavily for latex and seems to not have been cleaned internally regularly I would suggest replacing the main line. I clean mine internally with mineral spirits then degreaser after each use that way it is ready for oils or waterbornes.

Lacquer thinner or acetone should suffice on cleaning the outside parts. I don't trust using the stronger solvents internally as I seen way too many seals swell on pumpups even though they viton or whatever..

Kevin,

How about that solvent you suggested to clean WoodTux out of good natural bristle brushes? Worked like a charm, where mineral spirits was worthless. Saved me about 80 clams, enough for 3 cases of greenies and a pack of smokes.

Think it was Lacquer Thinner.