Sign in to follow this  
PressureX

bleach or chlorine?

Question

Now this might sound stupid, and I feel kind of weird asking this after how long I have been doing Pressure Washing, but what is the main difference between Bleach and chlorine? I have always used 12% sodium hypochlorite, but now, since SunBrite closed here in SC, and the only other place that sells is would charge me $35 for 5 gallons (compared to $10 / 5 gallons @ sunbrite), I am really considering using chlorine. But does it have the same effect?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Now this might sound stupid, and I feel kind of weird asking this after how long I have been doing Pressure Washing, but what is the main difference between Bleach and chlorine? I have always used 12% sodium hypochlorite, but now, since SunBrite closed here in SC, and the only other place that sells is would charge me $35 for 5 gallons (compared to $10 / 5 gallons @ sunbrite), I am really considering using chlorine. But does it have the same effect?

Thanks!

12 percent is 3 to 4 times as strong as regular Bleach.

Even though in THEORY Bleach is 5.25 percent, and 12 percent is 12 percent, the 12 percent is still 3 to 4 times stronger.

12 percent liquid sodium hypochlorite is commonly called chlorine.

The powdered calcium hypochlorite is NOT the same thing, even though it has more availiable chlorine.

You NEED 12 percent to water down to do roofs.

$35 for 5 gallons is ridiculous though. I was even looking at walmart yesterday like it was said in the other thread, but they didnt have crap, lol. Thinking about just using regular bleach and using about twice as much as I would 12%.

Grrr SunBrite has to re-open.

Im coming back to this topic now because I stumbled upon it and talked with Phillip Cain about it at the MB RT. I called every pool company in my imediate area looking for Liquid Chlorine. Nobody has it. Only the little tablets "pool shock" or whatever the heck its called.

How ever I did find a place (Univar) that sells 12% @ $3.95 / gallon if I get 15 gallons, or at $2.50 / gallon if I get 53 gallons. So Ill be getting it from Univar from now on.

Im coming back to this topic now because I stumbled upon it and talked with Phillip Cain about it at the MB RT. I called every pool company in my imediate area looking for Liquid Chlorine. Nobody has it. Only the little tablets "pool shock" or whatever the heck its called.

How ever I did find a place (Univar) that sells 12% @ $3.95 / gallon if I get 15 gallons, or at $2.50 / gallon if I get 53 gallons. So Ill be getting it from Univar from now on.

Are you sure about that price? I buy from Univar and unless the price has gone up I was paying less than $2 per gallon in 15 gallon containers. Are you counting the deposit on the drum in the price?

Thats crazy expensive, I guess thats one thing about Florida, everyone has pools so they need chlorine. I pay 92cents a gallon at a pool supply store, i use to pay $1.35 before I heard about the one i use now. I should be thankful.