Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Free estimates for jobs worth less than $500?

I have been pondering this lately - I remember when I was out giving estimates for residential exterior re-paints - I would lose 75%-80% of my estimates. But once I won an estimate - I had work for like 4-6 weeks on average. In the pressure washing business - I am giving homeowners free estimates for house washing jobs that are like $300 plus an upgrade for washing gutters - and still I am losing like 80% of the estimates. And it occured to me - I have to go and meet with homeowners and give estimates 20 times as more often for the same gross sales compared to exterior painting. And lately I am finding it kind of ridiculous that homeowners are getting multiple estimates for a housewash! I am at the point where I am about to decide good economy or bad, that I ain't driving around giving free estimates for any work worth less than $500 - it just seems to make less and less sense.

This thought got cemented in my mind when a homeowner asked me for an estimate - told her my minimum - and then gave her an estimate that was about the minimum I told her over the phone. And she still gave me the - I am having another contractor come here tomorrow - I'll give you a call!??!!

Of course she never did.

Dan, Try this first.

H/O: I'd like an estimate to have my house done blah blah.

Dan: Sure be happy too:

When was the last time you had it done?

Who did it for you?

Where you happy with the job?

Where are they now?

These all help you qualify the h/o.

-Never been done, they have no idea on what the price should be.

-Son who moved away to school used to do it, same thing as to price.

-Guy couldn't reach up to second story, or left wand marks, etc.

-Guy who did it last time's phone is disconnected. etc.

These are all opportunities to get correct pricing into there heads before you go out the door.

They also give you entry points to sell quality over price.

Dan: Yeah the guys who charge $199 usually don't last long, if you think about it with gas prices where they are, going out to an estimate and then going to do the job costs $50 in gas alone. That's not even counting time, contractor grade soaps and professional equipment, blah, blah, blah.

Find ways to plant the seed early.