Sign in to follow this  
CompletelyClean

Anyone heard of/used Defy Products?

Question

Has anyone used any of the Defy products? I came across this stuff at the local PPG store and did some research online, as well. The products are made from SaverSystems in Richmond, IN. http://www.saversystems.com

The stain (not called a sealer by this company) looks, smells, and reads like RS. They talk about it being a water-based proiduct that penetrates the wood and doesn't contain fungal-prone resins. Also, their maintenance is the same in that you can lightly wash when needed and apply a new coat over the existing coat. Their cleaners and strippers sound a lot like the ones most of us are currently using, too. One thing that turned me off at the PPG store, though, were the prices. There is an original stain and an epoxy fortified stain. The original sells for $129.95 per 5 gal. and the epoxy fortified is $149.75 per 5 gal. These are contractor rates, too! This is more expensive than Wood Tux and RS even if you have to pay shipping!

1 answer to this question

I did one quote for removal of Defy (pronounced deffy) which began peeling within months after the homeowner applied it. After discussing how they prepared the surface, it was easy to see that it failed because the wood was not clean or dry.

The homeowner said they chose it because of some articles they read somewhere saying that Defy was a "Green" product because it had no dangerous VOC's and reduced cleanup, etc....

So far, I have not heard any stellar reports regarding ANY latex, or non-oil based products, and as long as we have a choice in Michigan, I won't be using them.