Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

My latest home

Question

9 answers to this question

I think the reason folks have the perception that homes in New Englad don't get that dirty is because for the most part right through the 70's - most homes were still sporting a good layer of lead based paints. As homes became more and more vinyl'd and the use of non-leaded paints - New England has been showing it's true colors, mainly black and green. The roofs too are absolutely pitiful.

The roofs too are absolutely pitiful.

Sounds like you may be as fortunate as I am Dan and have the roof cleaning all to yourself there.

Jeff

Jeff - there are plenty of whores around here - I told Jarrod some of the pricing of my competitors, and he said they were as bad as the #'s in Michigan. There is nobody else pushing the professionalism of pressure washing - lots of guys with expensive rigs, but then work for dirt cheap. They eventually go out of business - but not before they have totally diminished the true value of what we do in the homeowners eyes.

I hear ya',....a customer can spend money only once in most cases and any time one of those guys gets a work and does a poor job, not only does it potentially take away from your pocket, but it also leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the customer towards the washing business in general.

Jeff - it's also about education. Guys sell 'hot' water washing as the only way to remove the stuff. Did you see the above photos? That's cold water on a cold day with the right chems!!!!! I run into homeowners who are recipients of these suburban white trash slack jawed contractors - and I see how their 12 year old vinyl looks like it has aged at least 25-30+ years! And then they ask if I wash with hot water? And I am like - are you kidding me? You want me to blast 180 degree water at high pressure with straight 12%?!?!!? That could clean the barnacles off a whale! Why anyone would fall prey to these idiots - but yeah it's our job to educate our consumers about professionals and professional techniques.

I've never used hot water, don't even have a hot machine. Makes no difference in house washing either way. Except that it's cheaper to run a cold machine.

Jeff