Sign in to follow this  
Rob T

Deck wash vs. strip

Question

I see some making distinctions between deck washing and deck stripping. I'm relatively new at this, but wouldn't a deck wash, done properly, also strip it? Or is a deck wash what you do when the homeowner asks "Can you just hit my deck while you're at it?"

9 answers to this question

There is a difference. A deck wash is just to remove the surface dirt that may or not be effecting the deck color. You can use a mild soap or even a percarbonate to just lift up the surface dirt, do not use high pressure to damage the wood to bring the natural wood color out. But if what they realy want is to take the fadded color back to original to then seal or stain it you need more than a wash especially if there is left over old stain and sealer on the wood. Then you need a stripper and a neutrailzer to get the wood ready to be sealed or stained again. Again you let the chemicals do the work not pressure that will cause wood damage and a raised grain.

I don't know anything about wood, but the roof on the first pic on your 'Cleaning Services' page needs cleaning.

Hit 'em up!

Tru dat. I already make a truckload off the windows on that home.

There is a difference. A deck wash is just to remove the surface dirt that may or not be effecting the deck color. You can use a mild soap or even a percarbonate to just lift up the surface dirt, do not use high pressure to damage the wood to bring the natural wood color out. But if what they realy want is to take the fadded color back to original to then seal or stain it you need more than a wash especially if there is left over old stain and sealer on the wood. Then you need a stripper and a neutrailzer to get the wood ready to be sealed or stained again. Again you let the chemicals do the work not pressure that will cause wood damage and a raised grain.

How would I know whether to recommend a deck be cleaned or stripped? I don't want to clean a deck only to find out it really needs to be stripped nor do I want to strip a deck that only needs cleaning. Plus, I'm referring the sealing/staining out so I'll need to know if I'm stripping a deck for him to come out.

Edited by Rob T

:lgangry:If your not staining it don't strip it. Let the woodie your refering it too take care of that. The end quality depends on how it was preped and he probly wouldn't touch it if you had already started it.

Bottom line is if your HO wants it stained and or sealed pass the whole thing off to your wood guy. If your just trying to upsale something just wash it down with a light precarb or house wash minus the bleach.