Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

You've Gotta Love This One!

Question

Called out to a redwood deck yesterday. When HO originally phoned us, they tell us that their redwood deck needs some, "sprucing up". I arrive to meet with the client and we take the usual walk around back to see whats in store. Have a look at these pictures! I have to hold in my laughter when I lay my eyes on this mess! I mean, always do my best to deliver professional, educational consultations when meeting with prospective clients, but I've got to admit, I've never seen such a botched deck job! The homeowner was not much for conversation and offered suspicios few details about the prior history of the deck.

My guess is that he rented a baby chimp from the Oakland Zoo, set the chimp down in the middle of the deck with a clogged pump sprayer, and instructed the chimp to, "Spray!". My alternate theory... HO got a deep "off-season" discount on his last deck do-up from a firm that specializes in hiring the blind.

Guessing this deck was last restored at a date that preceded the advent of tarps and the evolution of the opposable thumb.

post-1749-137772215846_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772215851_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772215854_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772215858_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

Man, that is brutal. I always have to swallow my tongue on those as you know it was probably a botched DIY job and if you make the wrong comment, kiss any chance of landing the work goodbye.

Looks like a pretty easy deck though, although I would never let the HO know that. :)

... HO got a deep "off-season" discount on his last deck do-up from a firm that specializes in hiring the blind.

Guessing this deck was last restored at a date that preceded the advent of tarps and the evolution of the opposable thumb.

Matt,

That is hilarious, probably more so as it is not far from the truth.

I always have to swallow my tongue on those as you know it was probably a botched DIY job and if you make the wrong comment, kiss any chance of landing the work goodbye.

Bryan,

Boy, I have done that numerous times over the years. It is funny, some customers are offended while others seem to accept the truth. Usually land the latter, and sometimes the former. Just cannot learn to keep quiet when I see a botched job.