Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

An option for those struggling......

Question

OK, this is for those in this business who may be struggling with getting enough work. First things first though, this is NOT meant to bring on a debate about methods, it is meant to give those who are struggling and want to stay in this business an option for getting more work and also repeat work. Pressure washing outfits seem to be everywhere and they are always competing with each other for the work that a particular area can provide. The best way is to set yourself apart from the others who are doing it, and that means raising the bar a bit. Take yourself out of the "typical" pressure washing business form. Turn into a technician instead of seeing how much money you can make per hour. And in my opinion the easiest way to raise the bar is to start brush washing the entire house. This is not hard when using the proper brushes. Also use ladders when needed, ladders are meant to be climbed on and are very safe when properly used. Go up the ladder and push up screens so you can clean the window area properly. You don't take the pressure wand up the ladder with you, you need a dedicated chemical sprayer with plenty of hose and a stationary chemical tank. The chemical wand is what you will take up the ladder when need be. You rinse from the ground. Brush washing will set the bar way high for the guys your competing with. I know there are those who are gonna say this is senseless and that they can clean with chemicals alone,.... but whether you can clean without doing this is beside the point. The point is public perception, people like to see a brush and soap bubbles, if you look as though your more detailed than the next "pressure washer" you will get the call more likely than not. I even seen on a thread where someone gets a brush out and leans it somewhere noticeable to the customer, just so it looks like they're brush washing. It takes me approximately 3-4 hours on a two story house, ($300-$500) been doing it for 12 years so I have gotten considerably faster from when I started. BUT I set the bar a long time ago and it wasn't on purpose, I've heard it many times over the years from customers and just the public in general,...which is why I like to say "I don't compete with anyone, they compete with me". Washing businesses here come and go,I have a strong customer base and my method makes it hard for those who aren't doing what I do to get much work from me. Again this was meant for those who are having trouble in this business, I guarantee it will help your business. So what if you work a little harder than you figured you were gonna have to. I feel really good about this method and credit it for keeping my business going and keeping others who wash in my zone struggling. You just have to set the bar higher sometimes.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

77 answers to this question

We just see it from different views Muduck, It doesn't take me all day to brush wash a house, it takes approximately 3-4 hours on a two story house, as I said the chemicals is still doing the real work, so it's not like back breaking scrubbing. I'm not cutting my profits in half when I get most of the work in my area, due to method. It gains me in profit by shear volume alone. And guys who are having difficulty getting work can do as they please, I offered up real World information from actual feedback. But it's not comparable to a lowballer, lowballers have a reputation for doing poor work, not just beating price. My quality doesn't suffer from my "tactics". Lowballers cut corners and usually give the customer what they paid for. I guess we will agree to disagree. Cause we could go round and round.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Great thread Jeff....I like your advice on how to make yourself unique.

Tv news story a week ago here in Dallas,about A full service gas station is still checking the oil, washing the windows, checking tire pressure and filling the tank with gas...for the past 35 years and have a strong customer following.