Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

HD-80 vs. EFC - 38

Beth and Rod,

I was just wondering what was the difference between the two? From what I understand do you clean with the EFC-38 and you strip with the HD-80? I know you said EFC-38 will strip, but does that mean it will only strip older finishes? When you use HD-80 can you neutralize with Oxalic Acid?

Steve,

HD-80 is a sodium hydroxide based stripper, and will strip most any semitransparent and some solid stained decks.

The EFC-38 is a sodium percarbonate based cleaner, that also has a mild stripping capability. It can remove Thompsons, and lighter, older semi-transparent stains, like F&P. It's not going to remove stains like Penofin or Sikkens, or CWF.

Personally, I use HD-80 as the stripper for removing all stains. I adjust the strength of the mix based on my experience as to what I think it requires. CWF for example. requires a stronger mix, and Olympic, or F&P strips easily with a weaker mix.

I use a percarb based cleaner only on newer untreated wood, weathered wood, or Thompsons treated wood. If there is stain on the deck, I go with the HD-80.

Always follow up with an acid bath to neutralize and brighten the wood. Oxalic, citric, or a blend of both are good choices. Citric is the safest acid, and my personal choice. Oxalic works the fastest, and it's really cool to have the customer watch out the window as you spray it on. Watch their faces as they ooh and ah at the Kodak moment developing before their eyes. Cedar is the best, it lightens up so fast and drastically. But oxalic is pretty toxic, and requires the same level of personal protection as when applying caustics.

Regardless of what acid brightener you chose, I believe all decks should be rinsed profusely. Some folks don't rinse after the acid bath, but I do, and recommend it.

It only adds five minutes to rinse a typical deck, so it's not like a huge time saver if you don't rinse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tony!

We discovered in Las Vegas that EFC-38 will also work on Men-wood if you work it enough, but HD-80 is faster. That was another thing we discovered.

Gunn Man, Tony pretty much nailed it for you. His advice is excellent.

Beth