Sign in to follow this  
douseahouse

vinyl siding oxidation

Question

i did a search on this topic but i really did not find the answer i was looking for. i washed my neighbor's light blue vinyl siding house this weekend and after removing the dirt and mildew i discovered that there is quite a bit of oxidation on the sunny side of the house. if you run your hand across the vinyl then you will find a white chalky residue. i would love to know what anyone has used successfully to remove this problem.

thanks in advance,

rando

10 answers to this question

A stronger butyl based mix applied evenly will (should) melt the oxidation off fairly easily. The word melt sounds like a bad word in this business. Do small sections while it's warm out. Be careful not getting the stronger mix on any painted aluminum window trim. After your done apply a wax of some kind to finish the evening out. I read on here somewhere that the wax was used before removing the oxidation, that may work also, but I don't know,...never tried it that way.

Jeff

Rando - Gotta break out the brush unfortunately. What has worked for me in the past is my normal house wash solution (simple cherry) without the bleach. I put it in a 5er and brush it on with my gutter brush. Rinse it off and you'll be right as rain...

- John

i did a search on this topic but i really did not find the answer i was looking for. i washed my neighbor's light blue vinyl siding house this weekend and after removing the dirt and mildew i discovered that there is quite a bit of oxidation on the sunny side of the house. if you run your hand across the vinyl then you will find a white chalky residue. i would love to know what anyone has used successfully to remove this problem.

thanks in advance,

rando

Call ACR Products.... They carry "Restora". This is a product that restores the luster to the siding. It is a great product and easy to apply and a huge money maker. We did a vinyl house this summer and it came out great. ACR# 610-392-1899. The coverage of the product is 600 to 800 sq ft per gallon. You CANT use it on white siding,

MJ

A word of caution when using butyl on vinyl siding, it will cause a change in the color.

The use of it on one side only where the potential to get some on an opposing side may show distinct marks on a side not completely done.

The best chem I have used contains sodium hydroxide and you will have to do some brushing but the results will look great.

Matt's suggestion is a good one. Try it.

Rod!~

oops matt, i had a few questions for you too. this house is about 2000 sq feet so i guess i will need a few gallons or maybe it's just cheaper to buy the 5'er. do you just brush and backbrush it on? how much do you charge for this type of service? i noticed that there is a vinyl siding cleaner also available before using their product but will a good housewash be just as good? do you start at the top or bottom of the house? have i asked enough questions? how are you today?

thanks matt,

rando

Either of the raw ingredients mentioned work to release dead/oxidized paint. Goal should be to not go too deep with too strong a mix or too long a dwell. Low pressure would be smart too. It's been said that some cleaners (Mr. Clean?) can leave enough masking sheen and rinseability on their own without use of a dedicated wax. Some Recent Housewashes

Maybe you want to try that new lemon scent offering from Sunbrite though?

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Call ACR Products.... They carry "Restora". This is a product that restores the luster to the siding. It is a great product and easy to apply and a huge money maker. We did a vinyl house this summer and it came out great. ACR# 610-392-1899. The coverage of the product is 600 to 800 sq ft per gallon. You CANT use it on white siding,

MJ

Matt,

You might want to check your info. Restora is or has been pulled from shelves. Too many law suits, including my own. The product fails on light siding, not just white. Great for very dark shutters though.