Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

Have you Ever Been Fired from a Deck Restoration?

Question

I have a few times in the 16 years we have been in business. Mostly were in the very beginning when honestly I did not have much experience. Well I finally got to fix one after 15 years!

The Short Story:

Back in the early 90's there were very few people who did deck restoration and really no one knew how to do them properly. We were hired to restore a large deck and gazebo that had turned black from Penofin. Well back then I didn't have a clue what a "deck stripper" was. We tried washing this deck with a cleaner called Biowash Simple Wash. The cleaning came out horrible! I was promptly called back and was fired on the spot! Well every two years since we have done the neighbors deck and I was constantly reminded of our failure since they never got it fixed, just recoated it and made it worse. They finally moved and the neighbor referred us to the new owners.

post-948-137772220413_thumb.jpg

post-948-137772220418_thumb.jpg

post-948-137772220423_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Scott,

That TWP Pecan is a real nice color on cedar, fine job. Too bad they didn't want the gazebo roof cedar shakes cleaned and stained, that would have really been the finishing touch.

Funny thread,,Just recently did bid on a home with three decks. HO ONLY wanted two of them bid on leaving a 10x20 porch and a 27ft ramp NOT done. Completed job which turned out wonderfull. I went to pick up final check. (note was suposed to pick up check on Mon but called first due to it was over 50 mi trip to house and no answer, or Tues or Wed or Thurs so I drove out anyway to see if they were home. Found HO wife who loved the job I did with no complaints but was pissed because the not done porch looked like crap next to the two decks I did do. Wanted me to just do it to make it look right...for free...LOL...yea...10x20 16ft off sloping ground with rails...I had told them at bid NOT doing it and the wood furn would make it not match (trying to get more work of course) but was assured not to worry they didn't want it done now. Well....wife decides she doesn't want to write me a check...Then only wants to pay me half of the second half ballance and I then "could take it up with her husband". LOL I told her she better get him on the ph because I wasn't leaving without a check and had to get pretty ugly insisting she write me a check in full. That all her concerns were discussed at original bid time. But if I had to take it up with anyone later than now it would be the local Magistraight for breach of contract. @50.00 intrest per day. Hubby got on the phone and told her to write me a check in full. And loved my work and wanted me to come back and bid the rest of the stuff but wiffey pulled out the o'l veto P card on me. So I guess I got Ph'ired..

Edited by MudDuck