Sign in to follow this  
MichiganPowerWashing.com

Hot water trailer faster than the van pulling it ...

Yeah ...happened to me yesterday . I always was wondering how come that 2 safety chains can hold the weight of the trailer , driving on the highway with coupler disconnected from the ball ....

Well ... now I know ... IT REALLY WORKS !

I was going about 50 over 4 sets of train tracks when it happened .Normally I can't see my trailer when driving ... but this time I saw it in my driver mirror trying to pass me :-o .

Lucky me ... no water on it and most of the weight was on the front so coupler was acting as a "wheel " for several seconds so I have enough time to stop safely . Loose trailer coupler hardware was a problem - Make sure yours is not loose too much .

Very small trailer frame damage , Wiring damage , Concrete road and my underwear was damaged also ;-)

We all know it ... but once again ... Make sure that your equipment is safe to use and double check everything.

Edited by MichiganPowerWashing.com

You might want to look into a emergency break a way system for your trailer as well. I do a pre-trip inspection of my truck/trailer on a daily basis though also. Plus brakes on both trailer axles help out alot for me though as well.

When I was installing guardrail we had one of our 2 ton trucks pulling a light tower pull into thelane closure where we were working and he was dragging the light tower on the ground. The frame actually broke on it after the safety chains. Another mile then he would've lost the thing completely.

Vince Wood

Diamond Bar, Ca

562-331-0301

You might want to look into a emergency break a way system for your trailer as well. I do a pre-trip inspection of my truck/trailer on a daily basis though also. Plus brakes on both trailer axles help out alot for me though as well.

Absolutely a must - both the break-a-way and the inspection. It just takes a few minutes.

If you think about it, how many of us have dented the bumper and/or tailgate because we didn't secure the trailer until we came to the first stop light/sign and the tongue "licked" us?

I am greatful that no injuries occured during the accident. Please go to www. Dangerous Trailers.org. Please note: that the issue of Utility Trailers comming off is not unique to this forum. Here are just some humbling numbers I would like to share with this group. This is from the FOIA from NHSTA.... FARS....

These numbers are from PASSENGER CARS TOWING TRAILERS... These numbers do not include any Tractor Trailer accident's.

Correspondence Letters From United States: The Numbers Of Accidents.

Here is a summary from the VCU CRASH TEAM in Virginia.... The same exists in all states..

"In Summary, this crash was caused when a homemade trailer detached from the pick up

that towed it. It struck a Cadillac traveling in lthe opposing lanes of traffic, fatally

injuring the driver. Trailers are a special class of vehicle and all are subject to some

requirements regarding lights and chains. While the Code exempts some smaller trailers,

those designed to carry over 3000 pounds are required to have brakes and to be inspected

beyond the initial visual confirmations of a VIN plate.

"HOWEVER, VIRGINIA STATE CODE IS SILENT AS TO ANY DESIGN OR

CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATIONS FOR THOSE VEHICLES OR FOR TOWING

CHAINS AND HITCHES. The purpose of this TECHNICAL ALERT is to draw attention

to the POTENTIAL dangers of unsafe trailers on roadways in the Commonwealth. In many

cases, towed trailers may be in OBVIOUS violations of safety codes that relate to lighting,

braking and inspection requirements. Wherever possible, LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS

should be trained in ways to quickly and easily identify such vehicles. In other cases, a trailer

may meet all legal requirements but still be hazardous when used in transportation. THE TEAM

RECOMMENDS THAT THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES, THE DEPARTMENT

OF STATE POLICE AND OR MEMBERS OF THE VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY

REVIEW THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATIVE CODE AND CONSIDER WAYS TO

IMPROVE SAFETY WITH REGARD TO TRAILERS OPERATED ON VIRGINIA ROADS.

In addition I tried to make a difference so what does Carry On trailers do??

Just read:

The Journal Press Inc. • P. O. Box 409 • King George • VA • 22485 • Phone: 540-775-2024 • Fax 540-775-4099 Serving King George County, Westmoreland County and the Town of Colonial Beach in Virginia

Pollard’s record on public safety becomes issue in campaign

Kat Ballentine 12.SEP.07

Pollard is also taking heat from transportation safety advocates who opposed his draft legislation to exempt mesh trailers under three thousand pounds from state inspection. Traditionally, Virginia legislation required that trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds have either two or more reflectors of an approved type, or at least 100 square inches of reflective material, to outline the rear end of the trailer. In 2005, Pollard patroned legislation which would have redefined a utility trailer so as to exempt it entirely from the requirements of approved reflectors or reflectorized material to outline the trailer. Pollard’s bill (HB4290) defined a utility trailer as a device “whose body and tailgate consist largely or exclusively of mesh and whose end extends 18 inches or more beyond its tail lights.”

In 2005, the year of Pollard’s bill to reduce regulation of utility trailers, he received more than $3,200 in campaign money from Richmond and national lobbyists for transportation interests, including independent auto dealers and trucking interests, according to records maintained by the Virginia Public Access Project (VPAP.org). Public safety crusader Ron Melancon, who successfully lobbied to remove Pollard’s definition of a utility trailer from the final bill, accuses Pollard of acting at the behest of the trucking and transportation industry to the detriment of public safety.

In an interview this week, Melancon noted that under Pollard’s attempted legal change, anyone could build a trailer under 3,000 pounds without any inspection requirement or trailer-outlining reflection. Campaigning on behalf of public-safety interests in 2005, Melancon convinced senators that under Pollard’s bill, one could have a mile-long trailer with only a single set of tail lights positioned 18 inches from the bumper. Melancon keeps a registry of all of the accidents involving defective utility trailers at www.dangeroustrailers.com, and his registry now includes the recent Bay Bridge accident that claimed three lives this spring. In 2005, the State Senate’s focus on examples of the evident danger doomed Pollard’s attempt to relax safety standards.

Edited by Ron Melancon
hard to read the numbers...

As noted above... the VCU Crash Team made a recomendation to address these utility trailers. So what does Carry On Trailers Corporation do?? They along with transportation interest gives Delegate Pollard over 3,000 dollars and then they give their new Delegate Whittman who is now Congressman Wittman this..........

No wounder nothing get's done anymore in Washington.

Robert J Wittman

Committees associated with this candidate:

Contributions Reported by Wittman Committees from

Carry-on Trailer Inc

Industry: Miscellaneous Manufacturing

From 2008200720062005 through 2008200720062005 (select all years )

All Receipts Cash In-Kind Loans Contributions Totaling $5,000

Amount Date Committee Description $2,500 03/21/2007 Wittman for Delegate - Robert Cash Donation $2,500 09/27/2005 Wittman for Delegate - Robert Cash Donation

The only time I have even come close to losing a trailer is when someone else hooked me up and I only did a visual inspection. Well, at least the only time in the last 30 years... One time, I was towing a Uhaul trailer, when I was first driving. It came loose on me 4 times in a twenty mile trip. It was quite the experience.

Its also why I won't pull a trailer w/o brakes!

with or without brakes ... I hate to tell you but trailer with brakes after disconnecting will turn the brakes on ... THAT'S IT . It will not try to steer , watch for pedestrians , buildings , road signs and other cars on the road. It don't have traction control , stability control or ABS ...

I'm trying to say that it's not fail safe system . As always read directions , follow any required maintenance and use common sense when connecting and driving with ANY trailer.

"Power" of the trailer ... YouTube - SUV Flips On Highway

Edited by MichiganPowerWashing.com