Sign in to follow this  
moreilly

Restaining my fence. Cabot fans out there?

Hello all,

I have been lurking around the forums for a week or so trying to absorb as much information as I can about how to proceed with my fence.

I have hired a pro to clean and pressure wash my fence. And now it's time for me to stain it. I have read the reviews on how much most of you adore the Wood Tux Wet and a few reviews on the Armstrong-Clark as well.

Do you guys recommend using a product I thought about using as well called cabot australian timber oil?

Yes I did a search, but didn't come up with many pro's and con's as of late. Just some threads from a few years back.

Can anyone give me some pros and cons to using this Cabot's Timber Oil?

We haven't put Aussie Oil on PT since 2005-06 so I'm not certain how your performance will be now. Feel free to give me a call tomorrow 336-516-6356) and we can talk about it rather than typing! You have a number of options that will hold well in the Carolinas weather :)

Celeste

I have used a tremendous amount of Australian Timber Oil and I do not recommend it for a fence. To be honest, I only used Cabot products for 5 years. I did A LOT of business with Cabot. Unfortunately, once the company sold to Valspar I noticed a decrease in performance of product as well as other "growing pains" they were having. They last few decks, fences etc. I used the Ausi Oil on faded out to nothing within 6-8 months. However, I use the Cabot SPF 48 on fences here in Texas and they still look perfect after 3 years. It is difficult to apply if you have never done it before but if you apply it on wet wood it goes a lot smoother. It performs very well in the direct sun. Do not be afraid of the looks of the product in the can, it darkens as it dries in a couple of hours.

Thanks for the info. I have also heard from a few Pro's that the Olympic Max oil based toner seemed to be a pretty good product to use too.

This is becoming more and more expensive to accomplish the more I research o_0

p.s

Sorry about starting the thread in the wrong forum :)