Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

Congrats President (elect) Obama

Question

I would like to congratulate Obama on his victory tonight. We threw a lot of mud around with each other during this election year, but I think at least most of us agree that we want the best for our country. I hope that Obama governs from more of the middle of the road than his talking points lead to believe. I disagree with A LOT of what he "says" he plans on doing, but he's still my president and he will have my respect for that alone.

51 answers to this question

Kevin,

After more than 30 yrs., I do not think I need some test to determine party affiliation.

You must be young. The Republican party has a long tradition of being centrist on social issues, especially in the selection of Presidential candidates. In my lifetime, Eisenhower, Rockefeller, Nixon, Ford, Reagan in governance, and G.W. Bush were all "middle of the road" on social policies.

It can be easily argued that John McCain was the most centrist Republican candidate of those running for the nomination in this election.

The Republican party has long been a home to libertarians, and it remains so.

Younger than you old man..lol. :)

Centrist term is subjective to the porthole yer looking through. Whereas one fanatic follower on one end of a spectrum would call theirself a centrist so does the other. If summing or balling things up into but only current hot issues between a two party republican or democrat system we can not really use the term as there nothing outside the left or right...middle road/fence/centrist views would misapply your position as being of "" that party so to speak if you don't lock step to it.

BalancedPolitics.org - Political Ideology Definitions

I am speaking more along basic ideology and where one falls compared to key leader type indicators throughout history rather than just our American leaders in modern times.

But anyways.. when I know I am fiscally conservative on many a thing (but not all) and yet socially moderate (but not always) I know I don;t belong to republcan party or the democratic party.

Here is one test: Political Compass - Analysis

Have seen better test though that steps a little farther into classifying one into known political partes known to history.