Sign in to follow this  
ShineBrite LLC

Synthetic bleand decking stain products???

Question

I've been a while since last posting, sorry to have lost contact - got injured and have also been really busy.

Does anyone here have experience with any stain/seal products for synthetics?

We have mainly PT pine here and a lot of people are going to the synthetic blend lumber that is 5/4 x 6" and resembles the PT pine decking. Some names are Trex and TimberTech. I've been looking at various products and want to market this service. I've seen a handful of options and I'd like to know what's been tried with what results. I have a feeling I'm going to have start requesting samples and trying them - should have already done it. Maybe someone can at least start me off on a good heading.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alan

4 answers to this question

Alan, I have put on everything (with the manufacturer's blessing) from semi-trans oils to acylic solids. I think for awhile Trex was using me as their guniea pig. Suprisingly, everything held up well. Believe it or not, what has lasted the longest was Deckscapes water borne semi-trans.

Shine Bright just know it's an acrylic if your the one having to go back to fix it....I've got a Deck Scapes thats failed in 14 months....From what I've seen and research done and thread I started on SW Deckscapes here I've got a bad taste and won't ever touch it...I'd also research Trex and the like,,,it doesn't have a good reputation here and won't hold up to it's claims, (contrary to company's sales pitch mold will grow on anything) People buy it paying ridiculas price for it under the pretense it's maintenance free, which it's not, and have stopped using it.

Hey it's snowing again,,,let it snow let it snow let it snowwwww!!!

Thanks MudDuck.

I've had bad experience with the SW deckscapes in Water and oil. Might as well be buying thinned down paint. I think I posted in that thread you mention. I'm seeing (and cleaning) a lot of the composite decking here. The main brand is EverGrain and Trex. Lousy stuff, but I understand why people want it over treated pine. I picked up some scrap today that will be subject to my evil experiments. AC will be the first stuff I try, I want to see how the oils act on it.

Low today of about 31... High in the mid 60s. Pretty rare to get snow in AL. We get a dusting here and there and manage to roll up these snow men that are full of straw and leaves. Redneck snowmen. HA

Edited by ShineBrite LLC