Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

Fundamental difference between conservative and liberal.

Question

This is a pretty scary story, but I want to just highlight the fundamental difference between a conservative and a liberal.

Democrats oppose spending cuts and the legislature's Republican minority opposes tax increases, resulting in routine stalemates on spending plans.

How do you guys (and gals) operate your personal finances in a situation like this? I would personally look to cut any unnecessary spending in order to meet my obligations. I would also try to up my income by getting an additional job, or another account, but somewhere in the mix you have to cut spending like a drunken ***** I believe.

Stories like the one above really **** me off; to think that the dems want to tax ME more for their stupidity just chaps my arse. Why don't they pay for the stupid spending decisions that they have made like everyone else?

22 answers to this question

I blame liberals for the spending crises that the state of California is in, yes. The Governator is a liberal, I don't care what he claims. If conservatives went along with the gross spending, then they are to blame as well, but as a conservative, that goes against everything we believe in.

I would cut everything except for what govn't should be used for like police/fire/security type stuff. I would cut the welfare to illegal aliens. I don't have the state budget in front of me, but I'm sure it would be about 1/8 of what it is now when I got through with it.

You're right about one thing though, it wouldn't effect me too much because I don't rely on the gov't for much.

Ok lets start with education. I say cut it 100%. The US has some of the worst schools in the world yet it has some of the best private schools. Cut road and bridge maintenance? Who do you think does it now? The government merely funds it, and we all know how good they are with money. There is very little the government has its hands in that it doesnt screw up. They should stick to what the constitution says they should do and nothing else.

Ok lets start with education. I say cut it 100%. The US has some of the worst schools in the world yet it has some of the best private schools. Cut road and bridge maintenance? Who do you think does it now? The government merely funds it, and we all know how good they are with money. There is very little the government has its hands in that it doesnt screw up. They should stick to what the constitution says they should do and nothing else.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Another thing I would cut big time is the prison system. I have many friends that are work at the prisons around here and they would be effected, and that sucks, but it would be better for the state in the long run. Put the prisoners to work and execute the really bad life long criminals. Stop putting out $40K/year for morons that will die in prison anyway. Get it over with already and save some money.

My point of the thread wasn't to really get into a political debate, but just show the difference between a liberal and a conservative. Spending less vs. Tax more.

I think the govn't should be put on the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.

I had to go through some tough times several years ago when my wonderful spouse left me with everything (bless her heart) cept her income which was half of the family income. This was after getting several pay and benifit cuts where I was employed. I suppose I could have just done like the government does and stick a gun to my employers head and demand more money, I took a different approach. I cut big time, sold a big chunk of everything I owned, learned how to cook for me and my boys, quit going out, bought generic, sewed the button back on the pants. If I can do it theres no reason my employee (government) couldnt or shouldnt.

And I gotta tell ya, our founders were absolutely brilliant. Read it carefully, this ONE sentence pretty much sums it up.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Heres a good one the libs butcherd. Article 1 Section 9

No capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

Libs werent happy, didnt have enough money to spend, soooooooooooo they come up with the 16th amendment.

I hear ya Rog. As glamorous as being a greaser seems, we're not always rolling in money. Well, most of the time. But I made a stupid business decision last Oct and I'm still paying for it now. If I hadn't been nearly debt free except for my house and Titan, and had some money saved, there is NO WAY I would still be in business right now.

I have made some cuts even here lately that weren't fun to cut, but do whatcha gotta do to make it work. I certainly don't want a handout and don't expect one. I don't think the gov't should either.

Uhm the government has a legal responsibility to maintain roads. It is in the constitution under Mail Roads. I actually am in favor of one thing that Obama has proposed to improve the economy, and I am far from liberal. I do think that his idea of rebuilding infrastructure is an idea whose time has come. It will be expensive, but in reality, it will also effect the economy for the good.

Uhm the government has a legal responsibility to maintain roads. It is in the constitution under Mail Roads
Uhm........NO. It merely gives them the power to say which roads the mail will be carried on. Not to make them or maintain them.

"promote the general welfare". And just what do you take that to mean?

I can tell you what it doesnt mean. I doesnt mean to take care of every citizens (and now illegals) every need no matter what from cradle to grave.

James Madison must have had a crystal ball because this is exaclty what is happening now.

If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the general welfare, the government is no longer a limited one

And thats my point. The government is WAY TOO HUGH, they have WAY to much power not afforded them by the constitution. They have figured out that the citizenry will vote for the ones that will give THEM the most. Look who just got voted in, people are dancing in the streets cause they no longer have to worry about their mortgage or credit cards or car notes. Many of the founding fathers views on general welfare was basically to promote commerce, with strong commerce people will prosper.

And the constitution spells out EXACTLY how the government promotes the general welfare.

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.