Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Sunny and 75 Degrees in California! Redwood Deck w/ AC

Question

Your all gonna' really hate me... Just completed a split-level redwood deck yesterday out here in N.California... We've been blessed with no precip. high 60's mid 70's for the last week and a half!!! Unbelievable. First time in 5 years that I've done a complete restoration in January. Great client, great decks (views of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge). I'll be posting some pics later this week.

The deck had NEVER been sealed..15 yrs. old. mixed heartwood construction. Carpeted with moss, but the wood cleaned up beautifully.

Sealed with AC Redwood Tone. My first experience with AC. Long overdue, as Jake set me up with a couple pales during the summer. Because the deck was suspended and on a sloped hillside with million dollar homes flanking AND windy weather, AC was applied 100% by hand, no spraying. I was very pleased with AC. 1-Coat on verticals, 2-coats on floor. The floor was as thirsty as a lion, and it really drank it up.

Because application was by hand, didnt get a chance to evaluate over spray clean up issues, a big reason why I love my RS. My helper follows me with a bottle of Simple Green and takes care of over spray as it happens.

Big positive with AC over RS? Single coat application potential. Cancels out extra cost of AC. Also, can pick up AC two blocks from my house at the B.Moore paint store. Customer service? Jake and Peirce are both superb, so that doesn't really figure into the equation for me. Looking forward to working with some of the other AC colors, the cedar tone looks real nice as well.

I have an IPE to clean and seal next week, may work with AC again for that. Reading all of the posts lately, I just feel SO incredibly lucky to be in production in January... Planning on launching first round of '09 advertising in late February if weather cooperates.

p.s. Got a nice tan yesterday as well! :D

4 answers to this question

We had the cold uptil last Fri then it turned great for outside work which kinda stunk cause I had people wanting their stuff all prepped and ready to go for painters. Then we musta had some sort of weird inversion thing going on about mid week as it seemed warmer up the hill from me than it did in the valley. Was surprised actually that this older lady at one of my stores wasn't carrying on about the dogwoods blooming or some such..lol...

Super cold here,,,had down to -20 with wind in the last three days,,not above about 20 for highs. Snowing,,drove up around the NC/VA line today (Grayson Highland park,,about 30 min away) which got 8-10 inches of snow in the last day or so to let daughter play in some real snow...(we get it here but it blows away due to being on the side of mountain) Yea I miss the Southern California weather from back in the Marine Corps days...