Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Cicadas

Question

The cicadas are coming on the eastern seaboard. I'm curious how many will get stuck in fresh sealer and stain. This will probably be very annoying, but I have an idea. Apparently these insects lay their eggs in ornamental trees and fruit trees. They cut slits in the branches and when heavy winds or snow show up the branches break. We can possibly sell, as an add on, tree spraying. Using the x-jet, or your chem injector, you could spray down trees in customer's yards with an insecticide cocktail. I'm still currently researching it, but it could be profitable. I just hope that there's no environmental repercussions.

3 answers to this question

In GA (and possibly others) you have to be licensed to apply pesticide to any property other than your own and, in some extreme cases, to even buy a commercial/professional grade pesticide. I would check with some pest control companies in your area and see if maybe you can work out a cooperative effort with them to refer work of this type to them (for a split fee). With their contacts (customers), you might be able to pick up some work from their end as well. Networking works great if you can get with the right and reputable people.

Also, you have to consider the time factor. Most pesticide (the kind that are sprayed on) are only effective for a few weeks at the most and you don't want to get in the business of having customers needing to call you back for your "side" service (not enough money in that for you).

In NJ you >> HAVE << to be a commercially licensed pesticide applicator & the business has to be licensed as a commercial applicating business, both through the NJ DEP. The process to get licensed (at its quickest) takes about 2-3 months. I am licensed in NJ, but I would have to take a different test for tree spraying and honestly, it's not worth the time, or money involved. Tree spraying lets loose all kinds of cr*p into the air and NJ is already out of control with IPM (Integrated Pest Management) which is trying to find a natural way of preventing pests instead of just going for the chemicals. Plus for the extra few bucks we could make this year, I dont wanna breathe in that poison.

Just my thoughts

-JC