Sign in to follow this  
Guest rfitz

2nd rig Up and Going

Question

Guest rfitz

I just started using my second rig last week, and I must say, it jams thru jobs having 2 rigs/ and 2 vehicles going at once, we average 2-3 decks a day easily, and I am talking about stripping/ washing, britening etc.. the whole ball of wax, and these arent small decks, average so far this year is approx. 1100 sq ft, and we are getting thru each in about 2-3 hours, I had no idea how fast a second rig makes jobs go, I cant wait until next year when I have 2 rigs on each vehicle and 2 vehicles hitting the monster decks, roof's fences, etc..

I plan on having 2-8 GPM machines in each Ext. Van, that will rip through the monsters...: ) so far, I havent had any trouble with the homes we are at pumping out 13 GPM to keep up with our 8 and 5 GPM rigs, so I am guessing a couple more gallons per minute shouldnt change things...

13 answers to this question

A couple gallons more could change things drastically.

You're VERY lucky if you are getting 13GPM, as most homes in this area only put out between 5-8 GPM (that's if no toilets are flushed, dishwashers or clothes washers are running. "I think you may have trouble getting 16GPM."

Invest in a Titan 440i ($775 at Sherwin Williams). Your deck finishing will go much faster.

Also if you use a sprayer and work on a lot of porches, check out the Zip Wall system (www.zipwall.com) might save some masking time.

Best wishes!

My deck cleaning rigs are each equipped with two 4gpm portable cold water machines. I find this far more efficient than other ways.

There are often times that we can barely draw 8gpm. You will need to tote water if you think you plan on having more rigs. Of course the water doesn't last long at 5+ gpm.

Personally, and I base this from experience, I see no need to use 8gpm for one rig to wash a deck. It just creates too much water, and makes the area a swamp. Higher gpm may be good for house washes and concrete cleaning, but not so good for deck washing, especially the railing.

Guest rfitz

Tony,

I dont like to tell people they are wrong, but in this case, your last statement is incorrect, actually more Voulme= less pressure= same effect, more volume and you use alot and I mean alot less pressure, which in return means alot less damage to wood, as a matter of fact I am doing about 60-70% less defurring this year all because of a bigger GPM machine, If you talk with Pierce at Ready Seal, he can elaborate more for you on this subject, anyway it isnt just making the wood look better, but I am actually doing the decks, fences etc.. in about 60% of the time than when I was using 5 GPM, and I almost never go over 600-700 PSI, dont have to, and thats for stripping, I could never go back to 5 GPM machine as my main rig after using 8 GPM,

Faster, Better, etc.. why would I..?

RITZ you are correct sir. I wish I could do it were I am but I have to much trouble with water. With that said I alll most never fur the wood. Some times I do leave bleach on to long

Everyone has their own methods. Personally, I have one big 8gpm machine that uses two guns at 4gpm each. I use chemicals to do a lot of the work and use my machine for rinsing mostly. 8gpm rinses pretty quick and as Ritz said, the faster the job gets done the less water your going to leave. With two guns running I can clean a deck or anything else in half the time of any company in the area I know of. That means I can get more done in a day and lower my prices if I want. I got the machine new last year and I just made my last payment on it to pay it off. 4 years ahead of the bank loan schedule. When I first got it I had to wonder, how could I spend that much on a power washer? Now, I'm thinking WHY did I wait so long to get it?

Rob,

I fully understand what you're saying about flow vs. psi. I too use only about 750psi, using either a 2509 or 4009 nozzle to reduce to pressure.

What I'm saying is a two man crew with 4gpm machines can wash a deck faster than one man with an 8gpm machine. Part of the reason is the fatigue factor. After a certain point working by yourself, especially with an 8gpm cannon, you naturally start to slow down.

And 8gpm coming out in one place makes a heck of a lot of water on the ground. When we do decks, we split up, working opposite each other, so as not to drench each other, and rapidly move around till the deck is done. Because each man only has half the deck to wash, he fatigues less, and moves faster.

And many times, we have to connect up to different water spigots on the house, because one can't supply 8gpm.

I've used my 5+ gpm trailer mounted rig on decks, and found it to not be as conveniant as the roll around units. Of course I've only washed about 1000 decks, so my experience lacks a little.....:)

I'd absolutely love to have an 8gpm rig like you have, for washing concrete, and houses, but I'm just not convinced that I'd want that much flow coming out of one lance for doing decks. Now like Henry said, two guns running off it, that would be ok, but then I'd still have to run off my tank because of water supply issues.

I talk to Pierce about every 3-4 weeks, so I will see if he has an opinion on two 4gpm vs. one 8gpm.

I guess in addition to everyone having an opinion, there are uses for various kinds of equipment, and whatever a person is comfortable with is what they should stick with.

Guest rfitz

I am keeping my fingers crossed so far, but I havent had but maybe 1 or 2 jobs this season that couldnt keep up with the 8 GPM, and those were both deck jobs, but I kind of like having 2 rigs, 1 8GPM on 1 vehicle and 1 5 GPM on my staining vehicle, that way I can leave the crew working with either machine, while I go on estimates, pick up supplies, parts etc.. I dont think I would like 2 rigs on 1 vehicle, I have more flexiblitilty with 2 rigs 2 vehicles, and it only cost's and additional $10-$15 a day for fuel, and now that I am mostly x jetting for house washing, I use the smaller machine for applying soap, and the larger GPM machine for rinsing, I find that downstreaming just doesnt put enough soap on the houses I wash, I keep trying new methods, tricks, etc.. but I guess that is what makes our industry interesting..?

What do you do when a supply can't keep up with your pump requirements? It's coming up soon for me as I'm about to either add a 2nd 4 gal pump or upgrade to an 8gal unit.

I know you can buffer water/time with a tank, I'm looking for specifics. As in: Start with 350 on board, fill at 5gpm while you work, run for 115 minutes (max), finish by then or wait for a refill. If this is how you work, how do you determine when you tank is empty? Auto shutdown systems? Pump dry and then run to cut off the pump?

Speaking of pump damage. Has anyone connected a tank to their unloader to increase their no-damage closed trigger run time? Is it as simple as tank with an in and an out feed? Do you also run your supply into this tank with a float valve?

Philip

I bought my rig from Tom Vogel and he set it up to have the unused water dump back into my tank, This way it can run all day and I don't have to worry about overheating the pump. When I'm using both guns I always start out with about 50 gallons of water in my tank so water flow isnt a problem. Actually, I always have at least 50-70 gallons in my tank.

Henrybockmanturneroverdrive" is taking care of Biz every day "- Henry I do the same I have 55 gallon tank with a toilet thingamajig. Thats on my trailer and my pump is 8 years old. Rebuilding first time this week....

If you aren't getting enough draw when down streaming try another tip. I have found that if I used a zero deg. nozzle with a large orphis in order to draw soap it works well but if I use my High/Low nozzle it draws much better. I for one will only use my xjet to apply chems as a last resort. I just don't like tripping over the extra line and lugging a bucket around the house.