Sign in to follow this  
jimbo

Need advice on best clear sealer.

Question

Hi Guys;Need your expert advice, I want to use a clear sealer on my own deck so as to see the natural beauty of the wood. It's 12 yrs old, but wood in very good condition. Had no sealer for last 5-6 years, only pw'd. I just recently pw'd it & am thinking of useing Cabot's 3600/SPF on it. They claim very high UV resistance and that is the most important feature I'm after.As I specilise in roofs & not decks I need your input if you will. Any replys appreciated. Thanks. Jimbo

3 answers to this question

The Cabot 3600 I believe is a natural tint, not a clear. It also is an acrylic base(harder to strip). Dont know what kind of wood, Pine, Cedar, etc,? Some decks look much nicer without clear or a natural tint. Sometimes natural beauty is not beauty at all, & most all clears will grey out quickly. Defy has about the only clear that holds color for any length of time. (1year) Post what kind of wood.

Thanks for the reply. the 12 yr old wood on my deck is Pine. Cabot is advertiseing their clear sealer as being something new with great ability for uv protection??? I don't know , that's why my question. Thanks. Jimbo

Jim, Assuming your deck is pressure treated pine, Olympic makes a true clear, but while providing UV protection, it won't keep the wood from turning gray. WaterGuard will gray, Maximum won't, but it does add color. Most "clear" stains add color, Oly's does not "coat" the wood - it penetrates.

Having said all that, based on some testing I've done and the testimony of others, I plan to move to Armstrong/Clark stains this year. Their clear is clear without "coating" the wood.