Sign in to follow this  
Doug Johnson

20 year old alum. siding

Question

What is the best way to clean 20 year old aluminum siding?

It goes without saying, it is pretty chaulky. Do I keep the pressure off?

What about chlorine? Do I remove the chaulk or just the dirt and mildew?

Thanks for any help. Doug

5 answers to this question

Unless you are painting it, walk away. It will look worse after you wash it. Usually the person repainting the siding wants to do their own washing. I know I would. It is better to inform the customer up front and then have her future business than to make a buck. Not saying you would but, people out here do much too often. Nothing lasts forever, including aluminum siding.

Here in Maryland we seem to have a lot of alluminum siding. I get calls to clean it all the time and regardless of its age I tell them all the same thing. I can do a chemical wash on it to remove mildew and bird droppings and other light surface dirt but I will not use pressure on the siding. I tell them if they want to get it really clean with no stains they should replace it with vinyl siding. Alluminum siding can never look brand new again once it's aged. I've had a few people contact me after the chose another company to power wash the siding and they removed the "powder" off the siding and wanted me to fix it. The only thing I could do was explain once again, that's why I told them they could only do a chemical wash on the siding. If your careful you can get the surface dirt and mildew off the house without causing any damage but it takes LOTS of experiance not to trash it.

Doug, read the first two replies to your initial inquiry again. It CANNOT be cleaned "properly".

I get several calls for aluminum siding, as well. I have a garage (not for long) with 15+ year old white aluminum siding on it. PERFECT for testing different pressures/chemicals to get a nice, clean sided garage. Guess what...the back of my garage looked like Baghdad after I got done with it. Mind you, I tried EVERY method I have ever heard of from EVERY contractor on EVERY pressure washing BBS and all I got was CRAP. Aluminum siding was promoted as "maintenance free". Well, the aluminum is pretty much maintenance free, but the PAINT isn't.

Now, if you come across aluminum that has been repainted (properly) and there is little to zero oxidation...THAT is washable with cold water and your favorite house wash mix.