Sign in to follow this  
sturgisjr

McCloskeys and pricing

Question

Has anyone here had experience with McCloskey Sealers? I have not heard any comments at all on this product, much less hear the name. I have a customer I gave an estimate to who had her deck done previously (5 or so years ago) using this product and I recently found out one of my competitors uses this as his main sealer. I wanted to know if this was a good product and whether or not HD-80 can remove it easy.

Also, can anyone share with me on prices per square foot average in Upstate NY? My competitors all have various prices. One would charge $350 for a days work, while another charges $1.00 to $1.25 per sq.ft. Some even charge for a 400 sq.ft deck at $100 to wash only and $200 wash and seal while others would charge $400 for a wash and seal. Most of them are also bleach users while some claim to use "green" cleaner safe to the environment. Can anyone share on how I can compare with such competitors and how I can set myself apart from them? I know this is pretty basic information and you may not be able to help me as much, but any thoughts would be appreciated. I have plans to use HD-80 and EFC-38.

Brian

14 answers to this question

Brian,

What does the product look like? Does it appear to be a penetrating semi-transparent oil, is it a film forming finish, or a solid stain? HD-80 will take off many, many things. However, if it is a film and has an acrylic base I would want to know more about it, as I am not familiar with the product.

Can you shed a little light on the appearance?

Beth :groovy3:

Hey Brian,

I've never heard of it either. I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask them for it's basic makeup, an msds sheet and suggestions on where to buy it and how to strip it.

Unknown products can be really tricky.

Come to think of it, there was a smurf deck around here once, Henry did you see it? It was off of Crystal Rock Dr. I wonder if that was the same stuff? It was BLUE.

So long as it's not an acrylic laytex or a paint you'll be fine with HD-80. Solid stains are not an issue, if they truly are stains and not paints.

So HD-80 will not remove Acrylic based or Latex based paints? Or will it remove them, but just not effectively? What would you use in a situation where these were the prior coatings on a deck?

HD-80 will remove SOME paints, but was not designed as a paint stripper, it was designed as a stain and sealer stripper. Paints have a different formulation. It will work on many tough stains and sealers, but not an acrylic/latex paint. Try an MEK based product on that, but BE CAREFUL and wear safety gear. MEK is very nasty stuff. (look for BIX)

Beth

So HD-80 will not remove Acrylic based or Latex based paints? Or will it remove them, but just not effectively? What would you use in a situation where these were the prior coatings on a deck?

About a quart of lighter fluid and a match.

Actually, I won't even offer to strip solid acrylic latex stains. A wash and recoat only. Too many good jobs available to waste time with these. And the MEK that Beth speaks of, it's really nasty. Remember, when you use paint strippers you'll have to hand scrape with a putty knife and properly dispose of the goop that comes off. You can't power wash the stuff off and spray the toxic shlop all over the customers yard.

I've had decent results with HD-80 removing oil based solid stains, and not so good results with latex based solid stains.

Okay, this brings me to my next question. How would you effectively strip painted homes? Im talking about older homes with wood siding and painted over. Some homeowners like to keep the antique look and not replace with Vinyl. Have a lot of homes like that here and wondered what you would use to strip to prepare for a repaint. At the present time, I do not do homes, but I plan to and would like to know what to expect before I offer this service to my customers.

Brian

Well I've never done one like that, but I watch Hometime & Bob Vila, and they've shown old homes being restored.

I remember seeing them employ several methods, from using a heat gun and scraping, to applying paint stripper and scraping. Of course, since the homes are old, you have to be concerned about lead fumes/poisoning.

You might be able to go to the Learning Channel website, and drill through looking for stories on paint removal and restoration of old homes. I'd look for you, but it's late, and I'm tired.

Thank you all for your responses. Upon going to Walmart today, I noticed that they sell McCloskeys Man O War sealers and they sell at $59.99 per 5 gallon pail. I guess this is where one of my competitors purchase these. Just thought I'd share.

Looks like the sealer that was on the deck I was bidding on was a Acrylic Based Solid Blue Stain. Would HD-80 have taken that off? It was peeling in a lot of places and was bare grey wood on high traffic areas. Didnt get the job because customer decided he wouldnt have been able to afford anything at the time.

Don't think Hd-80 would have helped there, Brian.

Further on the paint stripping. Man, you go for the hardest thing first, huh. :)

there's a lot more to painting than people think, especially when it comes to surface prep. Take some advice from someone who learned things the hard way, learn before you bid. Bidding and planning on learning there, is in my opinion, a fools way in.

For technical painting advice, I've found www.thepainterschatroom.com to be helpful.

By the way, I would plan on using a poultice stripping system if I faced a job like this, but I haven't yet, which would have me calling up Ken at AFP, for advice....Sorry Ken. :)