Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Legitimate yet???

Question

This has been debated in the past but in light of the time that has past, some may have changed their position.

Do our customers consider our industry Legitimate?

I will go even farther to ask another version...do our customers think we are professionals?

Whats your take on this?

Rod!~

6 answers to this question

Overall, I don't think so. Maybe legitimate as lawn care guys. But, I feel over the last several years I have turned my service into being seen as legitimate by the "locals". I don't have any competition to speak of in my work zone, I think in part because I set a standard here that is tough to refuse if you're the customer and you have to pick between my service or the guys who pop up every now and then. My services are more detailed than any of the guys that have started in my area. It's simple as this: They're in it for fast money, and customers have come to recognize these guys.

As a whole though,.. I doubt it will ever be taken seriously, as long as there are readily available cheap machines.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Actually, were probably a step or two below lawn care guys. There isn't as many variables in lawn care, and most anybody with half a brain can mow a lawn. But our services aren't easy and simple to perform, yet it's very easy to start up and start the destruction of unwary homeowners' property. This is why we as a whole often look bad.

Jeff

I used to be a used car salesman for 16 years before this, most would say that I took a step up.

I think it also makes a difference if you have uniforms, or just go in jeans and a tee shirt. For what little it costs from one of those laundry companies it is well worth it. They love me, I do hoods at night and houses in the day. They go back dirty and greasy as hell.

To be treated as a professional, you must look and act the same way. You will get more jobs because of it too.

Rod,

Great question. There are a couple of views here. One is the guy who charges the lowest price and does everything half asxx. No insurance, doesn't pay taxes pays their help under the table, etc. The other, does all the right things. Both feel people take us serious and believe we are a business. The clients we both sell to believe we again are legitmate. Our clients prospective of our business is drawn from their conclusion that this company is doing what I want at the price I want.

What a mess Huh?

In my customers mind, I am believed to be the most legitmate business in our area. Why? Because I sold them on that idea. I told them everything they want to hear and actually proved it to them if hired. The other guy did the same, in a different way. They gave them price. Both customers are probably happy for a period of time.

To complete my idea, I'd say the contractor who is really legitmate and does all the right things will come out on top. They will prevail in the jobs and years to come. They will be the truly legitmate business. Sorry about the soap box! I try to seperate ourselves from the illigitmate! LOL Thank you.

I was being attacked on pricing for pressure washing services on a painting forum - a couple of the guys are also visitors to the *****. And they thought I was riding a high horse wanting more than $50/hr for my services. One guy went so far to ask me if he could sub me out and prep 15 homes and pay me $50/hr for an automatic 40 hours would I do it - and I told him there was no way I was going to wash homes for paint prep for a lousy $133/pop. And they got real disgusted.

So my vote is no, our 'customers' which can include other companies that sub our services - do not take us seriously.

I told the guy I would do it for $75/hr. And gross $200/house 15 house minimum - and he said that was way too much in this economy - and proceeded to bash me online how he wouldn't contract me to wash out a dog house.

At this point the only folks I think take us seriously are high end clientele that responds to very professional marketing.

Hi, all, I'm not a frequent poster, so sorry if you don't recognize me, but...

The above post is very interesting. I don't know what kind of houses the painters were talking about, but that would make a huge difference wouldn't it? Maybe the guys who were bashing you were the kind of guys that drive a rusty old piece of junk truck, have no concept of appearance, and to them a normal day is a 1000 sq. ft. ranch that's 40 years old.

On the other end of the scale, I think you have the high end clientele that those guys don't even work for. I've been called one time in the last 3 years to do a trailer wash, and I could tell the person thought my price was way high. I didn't care because I didn't want to wash a trailer. I only deal with nicer homes for people who value good work and don't own a pressure washer themselves because they know there's more to it than that.

To make my long story short, I think that the perception of the business depends on the customer AND the contractor.