Sign in to follow this  
JustMe

Surflo users please

I picked up a surflo to check it out for a ton of things, moving certain chems from one place to another, applying some chems and I would like to use it for stain, but I did not realize there was a bypass model and got a pressure stopper 50 psi at 1.8 gpm. I noticed when I use a brass cone nozzle that it sprays a spectacular spray but cycles the pump a lot so I was worried about heat.

On the other side of the fence, I drilled out the nozzle that came with the wand I bought and it blows a great stream with good distance and don't cycle at all as it can release at the proper gpm to keep the pressure switch from cycling it.

At any rate the open nozzle would be used the most, but is the cycling going to kill the thing when shooting stain?

Last question I swear, what is the best battery to run the thing from a hand cart, is there limits to what I can use? Marine, certain amps, etc?

This pump really rocks though, amazing rate for the size.

The pump cycling while spraying won't hurt anything except maybe the little microswitch on top. These are available at most appliance parts houses - the same one goes in the door of a microwave. You'll have to cut off the terminal that doesn't match yours (they come with 3 terminals, you only need 2).

The best choice for a battery would be a deep cycle, which is most appropriate for running down, and charging back up. A standard battery would not hold up well in this scenario.

I've though about fabbing up a 12v connector inside my trailer that I could plug my pump cart into to recharge while driving. That way the battery won't get deep cycled and would always be charged. A smaller battery could then be used.