Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

Hard water spots on windows

Question

There are a lot of customers with hard water around here. After the windows dry on some jobs you can see hard water streaks. I use to think the streaks were from not rinsing well enough until I started to triple rinse the windows. I do explain to the customer that if they have hard water then it could occur however I dont feel ok with it. On the other hand I do not plan to climb ladders to clean each window by hand. I am thinking about adding a water softener to my rig but space is at a minimum. Do others see this as a problem and what do you do about it?

6 answers to this question

Jim,

It is from hell.

You can rinse your onions off and won't see any difference.

You could sub a window cleaner to finish in those situations,or ,from what I hear,use ionized water for your rinse.I am not even sure if that would be sufficient.Water fed poles to finish glass??? $$$$.

You might be able to down stream a light vinegar solution to rinse?

IMOHO a window pro would be the way to go with the hard water.

Don

Add some Dish washing detergent Calgon to your mix. It will help and brush the glass that will help also. The Acid thing will help also that was mentioned above.

There are a lot of customers with hard water around here. After the windows dry on some jobs you can see hard water streaks. I use to think the streaks were from not rinsing well enough until I started to triple rinse the windows. I do explain to the customer that if they have hard water then it could occur however I dont feel ok with it. On the other hand I do not plan to climb ladders to clean each window by hand. I am thinking about adding a water softener to my rig but space is at a minimum. Do others see this as a problem and what do you do about it?

jim,

i would be happy to sit down with you and talk about how we could be of benefit to eachother. i am located in the york area and specialize in window cleaning .... maybe you can add it on as a additional service and make some extra work off it for not doing a darn thing ..... i do also provide pressure washing but for only regular customers . give me a call if your interested in working together and i can give you some tips about the hard water stains... they can make your life miserable ... i know from expierence ....

steve

I usually add Dawn to my mix but I will try the Calgon thing or a rinse aid and see if that helps. I should add a little plex master (wax) to my wash even though I usually apply that as a 2nd step. I think that would cause the minerals and calcium to not stick as well to the glass but I also think it may not allow the soap to cling like it should. Steve I would be interested in speaking to you more about referral work. Give me a call sometime and maybe we can work something out. (717) 808-6645.

The easiest solutions I have found are:

1. Change soaps-Get one with a rinse agent

2. Use JET DRY or something similar a put in your water tank. A little bit goes a long way. Do not add too much.

It won't be perfect but it will satisfy most customers.