Sign in to follow this  
moreilly

Cleaning & re-staining my fence?

Hello all,

Last fall I hired someone to stripe,clean,brighten and stain my fence with Olympic Max (the green lable). I had a few people from this board tell me it was a good product to use, and liked the color brown Olympic offered as well.

I want to stain it again because I would like the color a little darker and also would like to make the shade of brown a little more uniform. The sun hits my fence in certain areas and it is lighter than the areas where the sun does not hit the fence as much or any at all.

So my question is this, can I clean the fence (wash off the dirt) with some low pressure water (ie: water hose) and apply the stain again? Or am I subject to the stripping,cleaning,brightening process again?

Matt

If you used the "Toner", you can re-coat after a low-pressure wash. Since the "Toner" does not leave a film, the new coat should be absorbed without leaving a shine.

You might want to check with Olympic to see if the brown can be thinned-out so your fence doesn't get too dark. If you need any help, call or PM me and I'll call my Olympic rep.

Matt,

You can clean it and apply the product to areas where it is fading or uneven. The result in some spots may very well be as John Orr mentioned above.

It is not absolutely necessary to strip it off but subsequent applications will create a darker result.

Rod!~