Sign in to follow this  
squeegeeboy

Trex deck cleaning

Question

I have done a few trex decks in the past but have not realy enjoyed the outcome.

I was wondering if anyone can help me out .

Are there any specific chems that you use when cleaning a trex deck. If so how do you apply ??

Do you brush the deck with a stiff brissled brush or just spray chems on and pressure wash off ....

Is there anything that prevents the trex from fading after the job is complete (when it dries it looks a different color ) it seems as if i have a huge request to do jobs like this but turn them down b/c i think i am doing somthing wrong . Does anyone else expierence the same results ....

Thanks

steve

30 answers to this question

This might be the case with Timbertech composite decks too. I did one last summer where the home owner called me out and Timbertech paid for the job so long as I used their recommended chems and sealer. The type of mold that attached it self to the composite was cleaned away with the chem but it looked like the wood fibers in the board were being eaten away. You could still see where the mold had been after the cleaning.

I had identical situation with two seperate customers with Timbertech in same neighborhood. We cleaned both with 12'r and hot water. Shadows remained. Timbertech paid for both and wanted me to tell them how I did it. Told them if we had a signed contract for me to do all of their cleaning within all of my market area's I would tell them. Never heard from Timbertech again.

Hey Doug

I have a Trex deck coming up that looked just like yours with a little more green mold on it

Can you please PM me your methods and chem of choice

Thank you

I have not cleaned any TREX yet, or even attempted to market for it. However according to the website I linked above there are slight variations in the methods of care between TREX Transcend and other TREX products.

Key points

Oxalic acid can be used

TREX Transcend products allow for pressure washing 1500 PSI

Other TREX brand products recommend not using pressure washing and using a PW over 1500 psi or closer than 12 inches will void warranty.

Looks great, I have 2 homeowners whom both are unaware of the actual manufacturer of their composite deck, so I am leaning towards requesting they find out if they are in fact warrantied for a cleaning or at the very least will be sent the recommended cleaner and application instructions at no cost to them