Sign in to follow this  
MPPainting

3.5 vs 4.0

Question

I have a 3.5 gpm machine. Is that a big disadvantage to me? All the threads I have been reading keep talking about a 4 gpm machine is necessary. My last machine was a 2.8 gpm, so this is upgrade for me. I used that machine for 5 years, but basically to "wash" down homes before they were painted. I wanted to move up to something that would provide more power and volume. I was looking to open myself up to other oppurtunities with this new machine. I hope I didn't make my decision to quickly, it is a hot water machine though.?

mike

8 answers to this question

A 4 gpm wont hurt doing residential, but 5 or better gpm would be best if you want to do any flatwork. Those houses must take a while with a 3.5. How long does it take to do a 2500 sqft house.

when you say flatwork, what are you referring too? a house that big would take me a few hours. lets say I replaced the pump, would my motor be able to push more than 4gpm? it a 13 hp honda.

If you're just doing paint prep, what you have is fine. Everyone will tell you "more GPM" but the reality is, if you're a painter, that 13 hp Honda with a 3.5 will work fine. Spend your money on a new sprayer or something.

I have enough paint sprayers. I'm looking to expand my business into pressure washing. Just trying to figure out how far I can go with this machine. My prospects look pretty bleak, not that this is a bad machine. Hopefully in time, I'm going to invest in a skid mounted hot water machine that can mount to my trailer. I appreciate all the help. Especially Russ, thanks for all the info but I'm sorry you talked me out of getting a new pump. Haha.

mike

when you say flatwork, what are you referring too? a house that big would take me a few hours. lets say I replaced the pump, would my motor be able to push more than 4gpm? it a 13 hp honda.

My 13hp and a Legacy TMG4050 5.2 pump gives me 3000psi @ the gun.

Dan,

How long have you been using that pump? I've been thinking about switching out the 4.6 GPM pump on one of my 13 hp direct drives (cheap knock off pump from China).

Did you but it from PressureParts or somewhere else?