Sign in to follow this  
squeegeeboy

aluminum siding questions

Question

what are everyones procedures for washing aluminum siding homes?

do you take the same measure as vinyl?

use same chems?

everytime i seem to do a home the aluminum is oxidized and the pain runs alot . not saying it gets stripped to the bare alum but the white runs alot . does anyone have this same issue and what do you do to limit it.

does anyone have a form that they have the home owner fill out to protect their liability when they do these types of home. i dont do many but when the chance comes along i would like to be better prepared esp in the pricing of it ..

steve

5 answers to this question

Honestly, every house cannot be cleaned with good results. Homeowner neglect and failing paint are two of the main reasons. Learning to evaluate every job will just take time,...especially aluminum.

I have seen homes that couldn't have any cleaner or a basic water hose turned on them and not remove most of the paint. Absolutely do NOT sugarcoat these jobs!! You have to sell these jobs for what they are and have the customers complete understanding of what the outcome will most likely be. I don't use waivers but if it makes you more comfortable.

Feels really good to just walk away sometimes. Just because we're in the cleaning service doesn't make us magicians!

Jeff

The paint on the alum will oxidize and run off the surface when you clean. Depending on how bad the oxidation is you may get down to the bare metal, and there is nothing you can do to prevent this.

When I see these situations I treat it the same way as Jeff, be sure the homeowner is aware of the situation and they may need to repaint. The advantage is if they do need to repaint the house is ready now that it is clean.:D I also have this on my quote for protection about not being responsible for loose, damaged or failing paint.

Low pressure and basic mix. The problem that is often encountered with these jobs is the dirt is sticking better than the paint. So going very light on chemicals will most likely get you unsatisfactory results anyhow. Once in a while we do an aluminum house that will look better no matter what,...even if all the paint comes off,Ha,Ha!! Sometimes the trade-off is worth it sometimes it's not. Just have to learn to evaluate each one, and/or learn when to walk away.

Usually one or two sides is more deteriorated. Also, the smooth siding will lose it's paint much easier than the woodgrain or textured siding.

There are a handful of houses that I do every few years that have steel siding,..that has got to be one of the best sidings I've seen for holding it's paint,...which for some reason they all seem to be yellow,Ha,Ha!!

Jeff