Sign in to follow this  
stoppie101

new wood

Question

i am looking at cleaning/ resealing a deck for a customer. the deck is 10 yrs old and he just replaced a bunch of boards last month. they are treated and he said that they were kelm dried. if this is true, then i shouldnt have a problem cleaning/resealing them should i? of course i told the customer that the new boards might come out a slightly diferrent shade when completed.

6 answers to this question

Actually the boards were kiln dried. As Dale said, if the moisture is low enough, go ahead and stain them. You will need a digital moisture meter to be sure.

Of course the new boards will look different than the old boards, but it is possible to mix colors of stain to attempt to achieve a better appearance.

Chad,

I'm hoping to start them next week. I've been holding off starting because the weather has been so unpredictable here. Last week we had five rain days....it was terrible. I hesitate to start stripping condo decks with these conditions because there are eight families in every building, and that's a lot of folks to inconveniance when the weather is bad, especially those in the upper units, because many of them bring stuff inside and place on blankets in their living rooms, instead of having to haul everything down the steps.