Sign in to follow this  
rick77

Motor Blew Up Today

Well, the motor blew up today on my 4 gpm 3,000 psi direct drive power washer. It was bound to happen as this machine was a very low end so called commercial power washer.

I'll be ordering a belt drive machine tomorrow. I've been under the impression that CAT pumps are the best but what do I know.

The machine I'm looking at costs apx $60 bucks more outfitted with a CAT pump instead of a General pump. Is the CAT pump really better and worth the extra $$?

Sorry to hear that you lost you motor my machine is same as yours cat pump with commercial honda motor direct drive. is your pump damaged also or just motor.

I took the pump and drive shaft housing off of the motor and found out that the motor is locked down, not the pump.

I don't know if the pump is damaged or not because I can't test it without a motor to drive it. I do know that the pump is not locked down though.

Any particular reason?

The replacement parts for General Pumps are cheaper and easier to find. Also, in my experience, they just seem to run longer than CAT pumps. I know some guys prefer CAT over General pumps but most of the contractors I know also swear by General Pumps.

Every time I talk with other contractors about their favorite equipment three names are always mentioned more than any other.

Honda Engines, General Pumps and Becket Burners.

You'd think that the CAT should be better just going by price alone but higher price doesn't always guarantee a better product.

Maybe I'll go with the General pump. I don't know......I'll be ordering from Bob at Pressure Tek so I'll talk with him about the Cat vs. General pump.

I wouldn't give the extra buck for it.

General pumps for me. Cat loves living off their name, I'm not saying they are junk but I don't think they are better either.

A name is just a name. Endorsements from pro power washers speaks for itself. I'm gonna save a bit and get the machine with the General pump.

General Pump's

We have been running 2 per truck for over 8 year's with no major problems. Occasional valve replacement's but they take 20 min. We did have one a few years ago where the little oil checking window came off the back and the pump ran dry for as long as it could. It needed total replacement. But I think that was due to employee tampering.

We had one cat based portable that struggled if multiple machines were connected to 50gpm water outlets in parking garages. 5 4gpm gp's ran fine 4 gp's and 1 cat the cat struggles.

General Pump's

We have been running 2 per truck for over 8 year's with no major problems. Occasional valve replacement's but they take 20 min.

How do you know a valve needs replacing on a pump?

Please excuse my ignorance, don't know much about maintenance.