Sign in to follow this  
Pat Norman

Attention Everyone!

Question

I got REALLLLY lucky and did not not have a mishap but ya'll need to check your trailer hitch hardware regularly! Today i noticed a little "slack" in my hitch while I was driving, starting and stopping etc and first paid it no attention as I do had a little play in my hitch receiver. When I got home and started unhitching the trailer I was shocked at what I saw. The nut that holds the ball on the tongue was GONE!!! Incredibly I have a lot of weight on my trailer tongue and fortunately nothing bad happened. I know a few months ago I checked it and it was tight as a tick with a lock nut. Last time I swapped balls I used "neverseize" and I guess it made it too easy too vibrate loose or someone was messing with me. Moral is ,,,check your hitch often!!! Everything is double heavy safety chained, but I still couldn't imagine if it came loose!

5 answers to this question

Yea your right about that. Man I would hate to think of it. I have a few of mine welded to the receiever.

Good reminder for everbody!!!

Check your lug nuts on truck and trailer too. Just had that happen a few weeks ago, driver was complaining of a viberation checked different things a few times but decided a u-joint was going out, but he finally discovered that the wheel was coming off, 8 lug wheel and only 3 were still there the rest were broken off.

Thanks for the reminder Pat. You might want to add "Trailer Hitch Hardware" or "Trailer Hitch Safety" to the thread title. I am going to check mine when I go to lunch after while.

Stay safe & hydrated,

Chuck

Ok

Two or three years ago I had to prematurely buy a new set (4) of trailer tires. P{issed me off. Caused by either lazyness or stupidity.

NOW

Before I get in the truck I "ALWAYS" & "WITHOUT FAIL"

Kick "ALL" four trailer tires for air pressure.

AND then check

Are both safety chains on in reverse order.

Are the lights hooked up.

Are the door clasps on.

I don't care if the trailer has been hooked for 3 days.

Any one want to add to this ??