Sign in to follow this  
mrmichaeljmoore

Sand or Clean IPE before restaining?

This is the thrid year with my IPE deck. And I am looking for the best plan to restain.

The first year I sanded the deck after the build was copmplete, then stained with Penofin for Hardwood.

The 2nd year I used Penofin's One Step Prep (I think it is some sort of acid cleaner) to clean the deck, then stained with Penofin for Hardwood.

This year, I am not sure what to do.....clean and restain OR sand and restain.

My deck is not big (12x24), so it is not a big deal to run my ROS across it. It doesn't take that long.

The one thing I didnt like about using the Penofin One Step Prep is that the IPE got real fuzzy/splintery. [Not good for my 2 year old who like to run around without shoes one.] From my reading on the boards, I guess that can happen with chemicals.....and pros get rid of the splinters by running a defurring pads across it or something........but that is beyond my homeowner knowledge....

So, what is the better choice? Sanding or cleaning? Or does it matter?

If I clean, how do I prevent the splinters/fuzzies? If I clean, should I use an acid product or a percarb prodcut? or both?

I know the pros on the boards are not the biggest fans of Penofin.....but I am unsure what else to try.....if I even need to try something else.

The thing I like about Penofin (other than the color) is that is real easy to apply. No lap marks to worry about. Just wipe it down after 20 minutes or so and you are good.

I already realize I am probably gonna have to restain every year, so I am not looking for that "long-lasting" product.....but if there is something easier, better, etc., let me know.

Thank you.

plainpainter --

so if I read you correctly.....If I am planning on using Penofin again, there is no need to clean.....just sand and restain, right?

thanks.

I said CLEAN - SAND - RESTAIN - how did you misinterpret what I said? Please re-read my original response and indicate where you got from me to only sand and restain.

I said CLEAN - SAND - RESTAIN - how did you misinterpret what I said? Please re-read my original response and indicate where you got from me to only sand and restain.

Man, sorry for apparently misinterpreting your response. I apologize; it will never happen again.:(

I interpreted you stating that cleaning and stripping of old deck stain as if you were planning on using a different stain than the stain that is currently on the deck.

I was under the impression that stains like Penofin do not need to be stripped before restaining, that's why I thought I could skip the cleaning step and go straight to sanding.....because I intend to use Penofin again.

oh well.

Man, sorry for apparently misinterpreting your response. I apologize; it will never happen again.:(

I interpreted you stating that cleaning and stripping of old deck stain as if you were planning on using a different stain than the stain that is currently on the deck.

I was under the impression that stains like Penofin do not need to be stripped before restaining, that's why I thought I could skip the cleaning step and go straight to sanding.....because I intend to use Penofin again.

oh well.

If you are going to 'maintain' a finish {i.e. you won't be removing the older finish} The you wash and then restain.

Why on god's earth would you sand down a previous finish if you won't be stripping it? You'll end up the worst of all worlds! Sanding doesn't clean dirt off of wood - sanding doesn't get deep in the crevices and kill the mildew and algae. And lastly you will be sanding a finish you maintain - you will get the utmost worst blotchy results.

It is perhaps true you don't have to strip penofin if you will be maintaining the finish with more penofin on a yearly or bi-yearly basis - but you do have to clean the previous finish before laying down a new coat of stain. Sanding doesn't accomplish any of your objectives whatsoever!!!!!!!!

Guys like us sand after stripping an old finish to remove the 'fuzzies' and just generally get an even wood surface to accept a new coat of stain. But if I am going to maintain a year or two year old finish - then you wash it - then stain. No sanding period!

Thanks for the explanation, plainpainter.....

But I just need some details on how to "clean" the deck.......

bleach, dawn and water solution? simple green solution? or something else?

I am gonna stop by one of the local paint centers/hardware stores in my area (and probably Lowes and Home Depot too) to look at the options for cleaners.

Is there an off-the-shelf brand that you recommend?

thank you.

Ipe needs a Sodium Hydroxide Cleaner to work effectively at getting deep into the substrate. Unfortunately, there are few available that a homeowner can purchase that can be diluted to reasonable strengths to just clean with instead of stripping.

After the cleaning, you will need to neutralize the surface (stop the previous cleaner from being active) and rinse thoroughly.

Rod!~