Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

Mold spots

Question

For some reason this year I have been getting decks that have alot of mold on them. I've been doing my regular cleaning to them and added a step with bleach to make sure the mold is dead. Ok so my question is It there are mold stains left that I can't get off. Has anyone who has come accross this like to share a remidy?

3 answers to this question

I've run across it several times - where the mold & mildew penetrated deep into the wood and it takes several applications to kill it. You can continue to soak the area with liquid pool shock, but you will kill wood cells. Hydrogen Peroxide is the safest alternative for killing mold & mildew on wood (and if you get any cuts in the process, you can be sure it will be disinfected). ;-)

You can also add mildewcide to your stain. Packets of mildewcide can be purchased at Sherwin Williams, Home Depot and other places.

Paul,

Where do you get the hydrogen peroxide? I never thought of using that before as I would let my cleaner sit a little longer if I had mold still there. I take it the peroxide will not damage the deck like the bleach can?

The only time I have used bleach on a deck was when I clean a composite deck. I wont use it on a wood deck. I know there are people who do it and swear by it, but its just my preference.

the last 2 years have been the worst for mold. ive been getting the black spotted type here. i let it dwell longer in those spots or i repeat the method. nolonger than 5 minutes and rinse. then repizza