Sign in to follow this  
kcpowerclean

When its time to buy a new machine

Hi all,

I think I need a machine upgrade. I have a 7hp subaru with a 2.8gpm cat pump. It puts out about 2500psi.

I want atleast a 4gpm machine but I'm not sure if I should go 5.5gpm.

I definitely do not do enough work to go any bigger than that.

I have several questions, such as...

At what size pump do you need to have a water tank in the trailer to safely keep the pump from running dry?

Would a belt-driven machine merit the increased cost and maintenance if I only wash about 10 hours per week?

How much maintenance does a belt-driven machine require as compared to a direct drive?

Would you suggest buying new or used?

Thanks all for any support and/or general advice in regards to buying a new machine.

A 13hp direct drive 4gpm machine is a perfect match for you at this point in time. I own a 5.5 gpm machine that I bought new two years ago - still haven't used it. I still just use my direct drive 13hp machine - it's attached to a 35 gallon buffer and does great even on slow muni supplies. I've done huge homes with it - I can make $1,500 off my own back everyday with it - even at my slow rate. The lure of bigger machines is much quicker rinse times - but I ain't Lance Armstrong, this ain't a race. 8 gpm machines are real quick - but the ability for a muni supply to keep up is impossible - and even large tanks can get drained fast. And I hate the idea of having 1,000 lbs of weight for every 125 gallons of water on my trailer. I like to be able to stop when idiots cut me off.

A 13hp direct drive 4gpm machine is a perfect match for you at this point in time. I own a 5.5 gpm machine that I bought new two years ago - still haven't used it. I still just use my direct drive 13hp machine - it's attached to a 35 gallon buffer and does great even on slow muni supplies. I've done huge homes with it - I can make $1,500 off my own back everyday with it - even at my slow rate. The lure of bigger machines is much quicker rinse times - but I ain't Lance Armstrong, this ain't a race. 8 gpm machines are real quick - but the ability for a muni supply to keep up is impossible - and even large tanks can get drained fast. And I hate the idea of having 1,000 lbs of weight for every 125 gallons of water on my trailer. I like to be able to stop when idiots cut me off.

That's just what I wanted to hear...

The idea of lugging a ton of water around is not what I want to do right now. Nor do I mind taking a little longer to wash a home or driveway, or even a small industrial building either.

With my limited amount of washing, it sure seems like a direct drive will outlast me, but wanted to run it by some big-timers.

You wont need to lug water unless you know you are going to need it.

For residential, many homes have low water gpm for conservation reasons which I think is absolutely stupid cause it takes longer to water what you need and not that anyone would use less in the process to accomplish their needs ...but that's drifting off on a tangent so let me get back on topic.

If you buy a larger gpm unit you don't really need a huge tank. In our Sprinter van, we have a 150 gal square tank and it is only full when we need it to be or in the case of working at a residence where the flow mathes the output.

4 gpm is quite sufficient for most residential work and the only reason I have an 8 gpm unit is because it is a dual gun machine for 2 guys to work at the same time.

Rod!~

Once you really get professional - 5.5gpms is the perfect match between ease of quick rinse - logistics of water supply issues - balanced with size of buffer tanks. I read alot of guys talk about how great their 8-10 gpm machines are - then you find out they're only making $110/h.w. - and got a crew of 5 to pay each week, you can understand why they're after the holy grail of 18 minute house washes.

Like I said pick yourself up a 13hp 4gpm machine - you'll be happy.

4 gpm is quite sufficient for most residential work and the only reason I have an 8 gpm unit is because it is a dual gun machine for 2 guys to work at the same time.

Rod!~

Thanks for the input guys.

I bet the dual gun machine is awesome.

I guess if I just had a portable unit and a trailer mounted unit I could achieve the same thing. Unless tapping into two spickets at the same house would slow the water down too much. Probably not with two small machines though