Sign in to follow this  
Stiffler

Hey guys.....

Question

Just starting out here. Couple of questions...

1. How do you figure out the pricing?

2. I've done mine and my dads and doing my aunts. Just to figure out what to do and what not to do. No chemicals as of yet so... What chemicals are safe for concrete. I don't have a dealer yet so what I buy will be from local hardware stores or as I've read Pool supply places.

3. So everyone on here is happy, I will announce the first thing I done was go get insurance. For the unit and Liability.

4. I have a full time job but get off at 330 in the evening so have plenty of time to do a couple of driveways depending on the drive.

5. It is a hot/cold water unit. 3500 psi at 7 gpm. Bought used, so doing a few jobs pro bono to find out what needs work and not. So far, the handle on the wand needs new rings I think and my scrubber is leaking out of the top and it taped up for some reason. I'm not taking it apart right now until I learn more about the parts on the surface cleaner to see if it is a diy fix or send it to someone.

What else do I need to get some start up tips.

As I noted it is a part time thing but enjoy doing extra stuff for extra cash and know I'm not going to be a millionaire doing it.

Main thing is I'm trying to figure out how to price a job.

Don't want to come in here undercutting everyone and screw the local pricing plans up.

Thanks in advance. And yes this is my first post.

3 answers to this question

The best information I can give on pricing is how to build your own price.

-How long does it take you to wash each piece according to what it is?

-How much to you charge per hour for labor?

-What is the cost of your cleaner and how much will you be using on each piece?

-What is the cost of your neutralizer and how much is needed for each piece?

-Are your sanding any of it?

-How much do you charge to for this service?

-How long will it take you for each piece?

-What is the cost of your sealer? What is the coverage rate? How much will be used on each piece?

-How long will it take to apply the sealer?

-What supplies and tools do you need?

-What are the costs of each item you need?

Here is a simple formula to figure your costs:

Wage per hour X hours required = Labor cost

Product cost / coverage rate (in sqft) X sqft required = actual product cost

Supplies needed for project (brushes, rollers, pads, tarps, plastic, cleaners, rags and any depletable items you may use which are required to be replaced for each job) = supplies cost

Travel time expenses; Wage per hour / travel time + fuel costs (mpg / miles X $ per gallon) and a % for insurances and vehicle maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, belts and fluids)

Now let's sum it up:

Labor cost + Actual product cost + Supplies + Travel = job cost

If you want to put it into a simpler form you can take job cost / sqft and get a price. But it will need to vary as the sqft goes up because it will not adjust for set up and breakdown times which on larger jobs vs small jobs could be more. Travel expenses can be made a basic formula add in for a service area and only increase if you go out of it and be based upon the increased time and costs.

If your state requires you to charge sales tax, you will need to account for that in the equation by charging a % based on what your states guidelines require.

We use a sliding scale which is more complicated than the formula above but it is based upon OUR specific business costs (marketing, advertising, office costs, staff wages, insurances such as business, vehicular[drivers and equipment], medical and workers comp., then there are license communications and utilitiy fees.) Safety equipment for employees (gloves, respirators, pvc rain gear, ear plugs, safety glasses etc), Replacement parts for equipment (seals, 'o' rings, QC's, hoses, tips etc), vehicles and equipment leases/purchases, licenses and inspection fees.

This represents the overhead of what goes into calculating business costs which ultimately end up in a spreadsheet which helps to maintain margins and in this economy some profit for re-investment in the business.

The formula above only represents direct costs to the consumer but without adding in all the rest, most companies go out of business because they do not account for them and when it comes time to pay taxes...oops! There is another one.

This is for your benefit and anyone who would read this thread. I would hope it will encourage others to sit down and seriously look at all business expenses and take them into account when making a bid for work and not just pulling a number out of their behinds.

I only wish the best for anyone trying to make it on their own in business since taking that first step is a daring one. I hope this helps to get people interested in educating themselves on how to run the business and not just the operation.

Rod!~

This was posted in another thread just recently.

I suggest using the search feature and also our FAQ section to help you get started as these questions have been answered many times over the years in various threads by topic.

Research is very important and it is good to see you making a starting inquiry but I encourage you to take advantage of the features of this board to help you answer the most basic questions literally hundreds of others have already asked and got responses.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

I've searched and read and can't remember which forum is which. I'm sorry for asking a question already asked. Just don't want to do anything stupid. For me or the customer.

Love the forums though.