Sign in to follow this  
Earl Johnson

Boat docks

Question

10 answers to this question

My understanding is that no chemicals can be discharged into the water. So if you can't tarp and recover, the only thing you can use is water.

There has been some debate whether sodium percarbonate can be used. I think it would be wise to check with the local authorities in your area.

If they catch you violating, there will not be room to say "I didn't know" You will likely get spanked with a large fine.

I've tended to shy away from docks because I don't really want the hassles. There is plenty of other work available for me.

Just my .02

Earl,

$2.25 s/f for docks is probably too cheap. A 50 foot dock by 2.5 feet wide is only about 125 s/f.

You're looking at about $281, which is not much considering that you may have to tarp and recover water. Even if you wash with only water, and don't need to recover the waste water, you'll have to tarp underneath when you apply the stain.

It may take a lot longer to restore wood docks than you think. It will take some big tarps, and a lot of hassle and time to suspend them exactly so. It's a lot of work.

I would be inclined to price according to a running foot, rather than s/f. A dock is just a horizontal fence. $8 per running foot might be a good starting point.

One other thing......spontaneous combustion....Fold and stack too many stain soaked tarps and rags in your truck or trailer, and you'll be roasting marshmallows.

I will reconsider how to price these docks. All good points you make. I'm going up to the lake this weekend and see what I can find out how others are doing them. I'm not even sure what if antthing they use on them to seal . Thanks for your help. Earl

do yourself a big favor. Find the right info from the right people.

two wrongs wont make a right.

If you get a repuatation for doing it correctly you could end up making a lot more money.

Talk to the local EPA.

Earl,

I agree with Ron. Don't worry about how others are doing it. Find out the right way. The local office of the EPA would be your best starting point.

I did alot of research before I started doing docks here in upstate New York. I contacted the EPA to tell them what chemicles I would use and how I would do the job. I wanted to make sure I was doing everything to their satisfaction. I also wanted to get something in writing from them stating I was meeting their standards. I did not want some conservation officer, neighbor, or anyone else to give me a hard time.

With the help from Wolman. They sent me msds sheets as well as toxology test on Rain coat, percarb cleaner and deck strip. They sent this information to my Epa contact along with a letter.

To make along story shorter, the Epa said they had no guidlines on the books. They said they would not give me permission in writing to do what I wanted however they would not stop me either. They admitted it was a gray erea that they did not want to commit to.

Wolman said all the above products are water soluble and would not harm plant life or any living things even the deck strip. They discourge stripping a dock that might have been sealed with an oil based stain, so you will want to be sure of what stain is there if you need to strip. Only apply a water based semi trans parent stain as well.

I hope I was of some help. ( please forgive the spelling)

Well done and same exact info I got. In NJ this is the area they are concentrating on this year and testing. It pays to contact the right people. I hope things are going well drop me an e-mail some time.

I'm going to take the advice and contact the EPA as well as The Corps of Engineers and see what I can find out. I'm sure glad I found these B/B's. You'all have been such a great help. I really have a much greater appreacition for the P/w industry. I hope at some point in the future I can be of some help to a newbe as much so as you guys have been. Thanks again, Earl

PS. Craig, I used to deliver log homes to Binghimgton back in the 80's. Can't remember the dealers name, but nice people and some beautiful country.