Sign in to follow this  
TNTPW

What to do?

Question

I have a couple that insist that all they want on there deck is a stain. Now when i say this, tht means they do not want me to do anything to there deck but stain it. She says once every two years she puts on a new stani, righ tover teh other ones. I told her that i would not do that. I also told her that there was some mold and mildew on the deck and i would have to clean that first before i could do anything. She was not hearing it. She has been after me for about a month now. I have brought her things that have shown what needs to be done. I have given her websites to go to see what will be done. She insist that all she wants me to do is put a stain over the other stain. Keep in mind this is the same stain go on every time. Now teh question. Can i do this if its the same stain. I do not want to do it but she really really wants it done. Price she cares nothing about. Is there some kinda wording i could put in my contract to help me from gettign called back are sued if this does not work. I would love to do the work but i want to do it right and she is nto having it. "All i want you to do it is put antoher coat of stain over the one that is there" Thats all she keeps saying. Any suggestions would be great.

7 answers to this question

To me this is a real simple one.

Couple: "Everett when and will you do the deck the way we asked?"

Everett: "Never and have a good life."

My reputation goes on every job, that means something to me. I will not do a job the wrong way no matter who asks. I just wouldn't do the job.

Everett, I can respect that because i do the same thing. I just wanted to see if we could reach a happy medium. I am going over there saturday to talk once again. I will start teh conversation and finish it this time. I will tell her how i do it and what i need to do it. An tell her to have a nice day.

You could also point out to her how much better the job would look and how much longer the stain would last if done properly.

If cost isnt an object tell her sure you will apply that stain for her. But first I have to do a couple other things like get it clean. lol

If she objected I'd have to walk, I wouldn't even waste my time going back over the same discussion numerous times. Theres just too many clients out there begging me to do work for them faster than my current one-two week turn around.

I'm with Everett. People hire an expert for a reason. If they just want to make it worse they can do it all by themselves. They're already on track for that. We would walk from that one. It's your reputation. Also, how do you know they won't turn around and come after you for NOT doing it right? You don't know that either really.....

Beth

If price is no object I would give her a price that includes cleaning/stripping along with the staining. As we all know in this business prep work is numro important and tell her that. IF she still says no to the cleaning then she is a nut case because she made it clear that price is no object.

Also I would call her instead of wasting more valuable time going over to her house again to try to close the deal.

Good luck

Quote the cost of applying the stain at a rate that is equivalent to your rate when you do a full job (clean, strip, stain). Then tell her the cleaning and stripping is FREE, but it is a necessity.

I've only done one job where I went with what the customer wanted and not what *needed* to be done. Never again. Granted, the customer was satisfied, but I felt so low when I saw the final results as I left that job. Super clean siding...nasty streaky gutters and filthy windows. Ooooohhh...it makes me shudder to think about it. I'm with everyone else: Be the professional, not the patsy.

Ryan H.