Sign in to follow this  
decker

My first ipe - hopefully

Question

Going to do an estimate this week for an ipe deck, which is pretty rare - I am usually on cedar or PT.

The deck is a year old, and the (potential) customer wants to use messmer.

I would love to work on ipe, as I have yet to do one and they are great looking.

Hoping somebody could help me out with these questions.

-In terms of prep, should I go all out - percarb/oxalic and sanding?

-I usually use 60 grit for sanding, but not sure if this would be the same for ipe.

-Any tips or tricks for staining, as I know you need to wipe off the excess stain.

I will post pics if I get it. But with rain all this week I am waaaay behind schedule so who knows when that will be!

6 answers to this question

When you are wiping down the stain always put all your used rags in a bucket with water. When they are soaked with stain they are quite combustible. (depending on stain of course)

got the job.

HO tried to powerwash it so there are some marks from that, which I'm gonna have to fix.

Have you ever had any combust on you?

Going to do an estimate this week for an ipe deck, which is pretty rare - I am usually on cedar or PT.

The deck is a year old, and the (potential) customer wants to use messmer.

I would love to work on ipe, as I have yet to do one and they are great looking.

Hoping somebody could help me out with these questions.

-In terms of prep, should I go all out - percarb/oxalic and sanding?

-I usually use 60 grit for sanding, but not sure if this would be the same for ipe.

-Any tips or tricks for staining, as I know you need to wipe off the excess stain.

I will post pics if I get it. But with rain all this week I am waaaay behind schedule so who knows when that will be!

Dan,

This is assuming there is no existing stain on the ipe'.

A good wood percarb cleaner followed by 6 oz./gal. of oxalic should be fine.

A light surface sanding with 60 grit and a random orbital helps in the appearance of the final finish.

Staining ipe' and mahoganies is best done on hands and knees with lambswool. With Ready Seal, we do two separate, very light oilings.

Check out Messmer's web site for their recs on using their "hardwood" stain. Maintenance schedule calls for 3 separate cleanings/stainings in the first year.

Where did you read that part about cleaning/staining 3 times in the first year - I couldn't find it on the site.

Gonna be staining this week, just gotta pick up some lambs wool. Why is lambs wool better than a staining brush for this application?

Where did you read that part about cleaning/staining 3 times in the first year - I couldn't find it on the site.

Gonna be staining this week, just gotta pick up some lambs wool. Why is lambs wool better than a staining brush for this application?

Dan,

My mistake. Penofin's hardwood stain specifies 3 separate oilings the first year, not Messmer's.

Lambswool on ipe' is just faster than brushing, and helps prevent over application of stain.

The lambs wool worked great. Better than my normal shurline pads. I think I am going to use them regularly now. They soak up a lot of stain so you don't have to go back to the tray and are very smooth!