Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

Looking for pics of cleaned cedar siding

Question

Hey All,

I did a sample on some cedar shake siding and I have looked for some pics of cleaned cedar with the search feature but no luck. I haven't done a cedar house yet and would like to compare what I did to what I should expect. If you have any pics of similar cedar shake siding that has been cleaned could you post them please?

After looking at the new cedar going up next door I was thinking the darker areas are just the tannins but I'm not sure. It was cleaned with two applications of EFC-38, 1,000psi using a 25 and 40 degree tip, and neutralized with Citralic.

post-3028-137772252668_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772252678_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772252687_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Here are the before pics

This is for a 1933 beach house at the oceanfront. Not sure how old the siding is. I have worked for the neighbors on each side of them and have been trying to sell them on restoring the siding this winter or next spring.

post-3028-137772252695_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772252704_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772252713_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772252721_thumb.jpg

post-3028-13777225273_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonyg

Hey Tony--I know I posted some pictures on this bulletin board over the years of us cleaning a Cedar shake house but I can't find them.. I don't usually do this on these bulletin boards but in this case for your help go to this link Clean County Wood Restoration jobs This is a couple of Cedar house that we just done in the past month. One of them the last one actually we still havent stained it because of all the rain we had. Where supposed to start it this tuesday which is a month after since we stripped it. We are going to stain this house with Benjamin Moore Fresh Brew color...I know funky name but its what the customer wants.

Thanks John! Do you have any up-close pics of the shake in that picture? Are the dark areas in my sample pic the normal tannins or should I expect that to look different? It was hard to see the shake on your job from the distance the pics were taken.

Thanks John! Do you have any up-close pics of the shake in that picture? Are the dark areas in my sample pic the normal tannins or should I expect that to look different? It was hard to see the shake on your job from the distance the pics were taken.

Hey Tony-- Pretty much what we do is whe strip all Cedar houses when we clean them. First we strip the Cedar and when we apply the HD-80 on the wood it darkens the Cedar because it throws the PH of the wood off. We then Powerwash and then we brighten with an Oxalic acid to bring the PH back on and to make the Cedar as bright as possible. Also using the Oxalic acid it is better then Citralic in where it gets rid of most of the nail lines in the wood. If you clean like this the Cedar comes out bright and looks uniformed..

Thanks for the help John but I didn't see anything up close. Would you say the cedar in my pic is about what I should have expected?

Hey Tony--I'm on a different computer so I don't have any Pictures to show you but I would think if you use the Cleaning solutions that I use those Cedar Pictures would come out a bit cleaner and brighter. What your using I don't know if the Cedar should look any different then what your showing because I never used EFC-38