Sign in to follow this  
Paul B.

UV Damage.

Question

Here is a good example of how much damage the Sun's UV rays can do in 1 year. The deck is exposed to sun almost all day.

This was washed with a mild percarb cleaner (no TSP).

In addition, I threw in a photo of a well worn defelting pad.

7 answers to this question

Do not understand question #2

Cleaned with Wolman percarb. (purchased a bunch last year for $2 per container). Mixed 4 oz. per gallon (Wolman recommends 7).

Brightened with oxalic.

Stained with Ready Seal "Dark Brown"

They had to re-grade the back yards of a bunch of homeowners as the drainage was very poor.

Some evenly worn pads get used for hand furring spindles while others that get shredded by nails and splinters get trashed.

Paul- Do you have a before photo.? Did you think you were going to defelt before or only after using the pre-carb ? how much RS 5,6 gallons is the deck aprox 500 sqft ?

I did an estimate for concrete cleaning and sealing last year for these customers and I took photos and measurements of the deck in anticipation of additional work. We were awarded the concrete work but they didn't want the deck finished then. The deck was unfinished. When I did the estimate this year, I did not see the deck as I was working off last years photos and notes. The customer was commenting that after the washing his neighbors thought he got a new deck, so it must have been fairly aged for people to notice.

The deck is a bit shy of 600 sq ft and took a bit under 5 gallons. Hand applied 2 coats on the hand rails and floor - the verticals would not accept a 2nd coat).

The point I was trying to make was that neither the percab nor the wash (500 psi) caused the furring. The furring was from damage by the sun's UV rays. The amount of damage/furring is proportionate to the amount of exposure to the sun. I always expect some defelting, but in this case it was more as I neglected to consider the aging between the time the photos were taken and the work performed.