Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

A.C. Deck Restoration - Semisolid stain

Question

Here is a deck I did in the next to me, North Andover MA. This was a heck of a job - I replaced railings, stringer boards, 1x5 trim boards on the bulkhead door and a few pieces of baseboard cap. Of course homeowner didn't want to pay for spindles to be restored - as they have two full coats of ATO on them - but all the railings, posts, and stringer boards were a peeling mess - so can you imagine pressure washing between those spindels to try and remove paint on the top sides of the stringer boards? It's not fun - especially when after scraping afterwards all the exposed wood got a penetrating wood preserver treatment, then were oil primed, and then finally a couple of coats of latex paint.

The floorboards are Mahogany that I totally restored, sanded, etc. Two coats of A.C. semisolid, special mix I came up with. As well homeowner didn't like peeling concrete foundation after deck was stained - so that fun grinding the paint off after deck was already stained.

So - here are photos of what we came to this morning - I think this is like week #4 between all the rain - and the many trips between steps of prep.

post-1720-137772258119_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772258193_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772258267_thumb.jpg

post-1720-13777225834_thumb.jpg

26 answers to this question

Rick the mahogany deck looks great. Is that RS Medium Red or do you make a blend?

I love variation of the wood tones in mahogany and my customer's eventually do also.

When you do a deck that looks like the one you did, you can say to the customer while smiling Kinda looks like mahogany, doesn't it?