Sign in to follow this  
rocco

anyone use benjamin moore stain?

Question

I had a call about doing a deck and they said they have some stain leftover from their cabin that they stained and would like it to be put on their deck but the deck is in bad shape and needs to be washed. So they asked me to do it all and I have never used benjamin moore. I only have used fnp and wollmans and now woodtux. Any one have any suggestions for this stain or is it pretty comparable to the others? I will be brushing/rolling it on and plan to use some hd-80 to get what is left of the old stain off. Its not much so I wont be needing alot. The deck is about 218 sf with 5 steps and railing around 3 sides which come to about 42 ft in length. I have figured 3 gallons should cover it am i correct? I am normally a truck washer but am trying to get more into the deck refinishing market. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

5 answers to this question

It's probably more expensive. Their exterior paint is way overpriced, but I know a guy who uses it for it's high quality. I used Cabots for the first time last week and surprised at the $30 gal price. It was extremely user unfriendly, fought me the whole way going on, but in the end it was breathtaking.

The oil based C070 has a good coverage rate between 200-350 sq ft per gallon.

It is expensive at around $47 or so per gallon w/o the contractor discount (at least where I purchased some this week). It's a decent quality stain.

The stain is a 1 coat application and does need to be stripped if you are to re-apply. It is very thin in consistancy (similar to Ready Seal/maybe thinner). Benjamin Moore is starting to step back from the oil based stains so some stores only have the clear and add the pigments into it (which is no big deal).