Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

supply lines

This started in another thread (3/4" supply lines) and then went off the subject, so I am starting a new one.

I am in the process of redoing some plumbing on my trailer. I needed some 3 way ball valves and got them at my dealer, without looking at them first. When I get home, I find that my 1/2" ball valves are more like 3/8" as it goes through the ball. So I called my dealer and asked if that would restrict flow to my pump, and he said no, we do it all the time.

Now I know what you are probably thinking right now, is why in the world would he put a 1/2" ball valve on the pump inlet?

Well, as I see it, the pump inlet is 1/2", so why should I go any bigger?

All that aside, if I use this ball valve, my pump inlet will now be 3/8" off of the valve.

Has anyone else here done this, and what was the outcome? I know that 3/8" will flow 10 gpm plus in a pressure setting, but this is the draw line off of the tank.

One quick point. Ball valves come in two styles, full port, which you need and don't have, and the reducing style, which you have, and don't want.

Gravity feed from these tanks. We use 1-1/2" from the tank 2-500 gallon verticals plumbed together. Just before the inlet to the pump we reduced to 3/4". Pump output is 8 gpm. All valves are full port.

Dave Olson