Sign in to follow this  
lmspeir

Pecan tree stains on concrete

Question

We are basically a KEC company but have a customer with pecan trees staining his driveway. He asked us to get them cleaned up. We have tried caustic, TSP and muratic acid. No go. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Larry

10 answers to this question

Hey Larry...we've had the same problems with tannin stains from oak leaves on concrete. I never ran into pecan stains, but I bet the method we use would work...after cleaning the surface, we use an M5 xjet to apply a light coat of straight 12.5% bleach...we don't rinse it. After a minute or so, the stains are gone and the concrete is brightened. Just be extremely careful, as it will kill grass, plants, etc. if you're not careful. Good luck!

Bleach the driveway before you hit it with the surface cleaner, then, like above, hit it with bleach after it is rinsed.

Gospel +1 it also blends most tracking (if any from surface cleaner)

Downstreaming 12.5 will work just fine - and no danger of killing anything. Allow a few minutes to dwell, then follow-up with a pump-up of 3% for the spots. Using this method, no rinsing is needed. (I am assuming the customer doesn't want the concrete completely cleaned, just the stains removed.) This method has worked for me for almost 10 years, so it should work for you.

P.S. ShureKleen 800 (pretty sure) and Ferrous Stain Remover (sure) will reverse acid "burns".

P.P.S Is it Pee-Can or Peh-Kahn? ;)

Edited by John Orr
P.P.S.

I did a job for a Realtor friend of my wife’s yesterday. Basic driveway, Sidewalk, Flagstone Entry way and retaining wall that have sat under a Live Oak Tree for the better part of 8 years. As seen in the enclosed picks they have been driving over and stepping on the little nuts that drop from the tree each year and it looks like someone let 1000 Hershey kisses melt all over the place. Needless to say, I washed it, and they did not budge. I DS a little bleach after and let it sit and I am happy with the result. Thanks to Bobby at Costal and everyone else for the practical info available on this site.

Have a great weekend

Dan

post-5588-13777227979_thumb.jpg

post-5588-137772279799_thumb.jpg

post-5588-137772279815_thumb.jpg

post-5588-137772279821_thumb.jpg

post-5588-137772279857_thumb.jpg

Edited by netspider