Sign in to follow this  
staudend

Pressure treated fur....

Question

When the pressure treated film comes off with EFC-38, is it typical to have some fur on the wood? It's happened to me several times with the first wash of a pressure treated deck and it's a pain in the butt. Is my mix too strong? I only use 8oz per five gallons of water and enough pressure to get rid of the PT film.

Lastly, if this is typical, how do you remove the fuzz? I've used a brillo pad once and it seemed to work OK. Sand paper might be better but I'm not sure.

Thanks, Nick from Missouri.

4 answers to this question

Nick,

You can try to use less efc-38 to see if that would eliviate your problem. Beth here on the board sells defurring pads. They go onto a 7 or 9 inch sander that looks like a buffer machine for cars. This works great at removing the fuzzies.

James,

Out of curiousity, what is the ratio of bleach and soap that you use? Also what kind of soap.

I know there has been and always will be a debate about using bleach on wood as the same as using sodium hyrdroxide on roofs. I am really interested in your process of cleaning wood and why. I have always used other methods that did not include the use of bleach. I have always been a firm believer that it should not be used. But then again things do change and my ways may also change.

This year I started using Ready Seal which I know thats what you use too. Both you and Pierce seem adamant about using bleach to clean with. I would think that the manufacture of Ready Seal would know whats best for his product.

Everett keep quiet on this one!:D

Thank you

IT depends most o f the time 1 gallon bleach 2 gallons water or half gallon bleach 2 half water. Depends how new and how much millydew. put a little dish soap. Sunbrite uses liquid **** and span for soap ? I think. Work small area's until you get it. No going back once you learn this.