Sign in to follow this  
Firedkm

Repelling gear in use

Question

I believe Paul uk was lookng for a picture of me using the repelling gear I have.

I was washing a building and had to get to the top of the third story. This was the easiest way for. My extension pole was not long enough and also had electric wires on a pole to deal with to on one side of the building.

post-302-137772137856_thumb.jpg

post-302-13777213786_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Have you had the minerals to go over the edge of a sheer face yet? Like the one on that building not accessible by standing on the roof. I have to say that I've fantasized about just rapelling off the side of a house, the main thing stopping me is the potential damage to be caused to the gutters. These things are definintely worth it, though!!!

maybe I'll get someone to take a few pics of me using mine if anyone wants more pics.

If your anchor point is far enough away from the house you wont touch the gutters. Also, you can have a secondary anchor point off chimneys sometimes. I use an off road strap with loops stitched in the ends. Attach the ends with a big pear carabiner and then attach your rope to that. You can also attach it, the strap, to trees using a prusik knont, single or double....you can look that knot up on a climbing web site. Be carefull about running the rope over the peak of the roof, you'll saw in to it and damage your rope sheathing.

Ryan,

No not yet on going over the side to reach spots yet. I have thought about though. I would like to see some pics of you using your equipment too. Just to compare to your methods and mine.

Steve,

I have an old firehose section that I cut up to go over the rope. I put this where the rope will rub on different spots. So far it has worked pretty good.:whip:

My roommate has some repelling gear and he was actually talking to me about using it while I was pressure washing but I didn't think people actually did it. I have a job coming up removing mildew from some trim on a 2 story house with a very steep roof and I am going to take my roommate out with me to show me how to anchor myself and set myself off in case I fall or just feel like jumping.

Matthew Krupitzer

Empire Pressure Washing

dale......all i can say is WOW!!!!.....i cannot see me doing that so any jobs that come my way i will pass on to you...;-).....would like to see how you tie off and what the knot is called...i asked to see your pics so others could see and look into it themselves thanks.

ryan see if you can post a few too as it could be very instructional to some....anyone else would be very welcome to add there 2 cents aswell.

cheers paul.

I'll work on getting some pics....probably won't be any "in action" pics as I don't get many calls to do them, but I can set up the gear and do it from the roof of my house (or parent's since it's rather steep).

As for the knot, I use a bowline to tie off either ends. Makes it easy to untie when the gig is up. I use a Grigri Petzl device to keep it hands-free.

Ryan,

Have you tried the Petzel Stop device? I like how that works better than the Grigri. It seems to catch you a little faster when you slip. I use a clove hitch with a saftey knot.

Paul,

As long as you pay for the airfare I will do it for ya!:)

Dale,

Haven't tried anything else on the setup. It's rare that actually have to use it as most of my jobs can be reached with my extension wand. The roof cleaning hasn't been quite as high in demand as I had thought it would be, so no calls for that (when I was actually advertising). I usually tie a quick slip knot in the line a few feet behind me so that if I do slip I will be stopped. The knot is too big to pass through the device, so it does an effective job at stopping me. I also have an upper-body harness with heavy duty D-rings should I ever get someone to help out with a job (would make the job MUCH faster), but haven't needed it yet.

My biggest question about using the rope technique - does it get in the way having it attached to you, either from the front line with rapelling gear or from the back like on safety harnesses. It just seems like it would be all in the way. I want to try it though. Roger did the stuff in the Marines so is quite gung ho to try it while working.

Celeste

Randy,

I bought some "water shoes" like you use when jet skiing or scuba diving (to complement the fins)....the soft rubber soles work pretty well and are pliable enough to allow walking on an angle without being restrictive. I've also used rubber boots and tennis shoes....they all work pretty well, but the thicker and softer the sole the better.

Celeste,

The rope does indeed get in the way at times, but is definitely worth it. My primary concern is getting the cleaner on the rope (nylon + bleach not good bedfellers), but I rinse the rope very well in a bucket of water before putting up and visually inspect it before every use for chemical or physical damage.