Sign in to follow this  
netspider

I opened my mouth and need a little help

Question

I was asked to clean a brick patio and pool skirt this morning for a customer who is flipping a house. While talking with the owner I asked about the House - Gutters and Drive/entryway. He agreed and wants a all inclusive number. The house is 90% brick as seen in the picks House Wash pictures by surfinspider - Photobucket with some stone. Mostly Grime and Mildew from tree canopy on house and gutters. Some mold on the retaining walls. Any help with pricing would be a great help to help me move forward. How do you measure a House? I have a rig capable of doing this job and it will not be a chemical heavy cost project, just labor if I am understanding everything I have read on the site over the last 2 months.

Thanks in advance for the time if you respond.

Dan

16 answers to this question

I think you should just pass on it and let me do it Ha HA HA HA HA

I would price it by the hour. But I know how much i can do in an hours time. If your washing the whole house and the patio/pool area i would bid $750.00 but that's just an estimate. That rust from the A/C drain isn't gonna be easy to get off. If you have any questions call me i'll be glad to tell what I know, which isn't much!!

Looks like someone had some extra bricks and just decided one day to build a house....and walks,,,,and patio,,,,and everything. Hahaha! Is the street they live on brick too?

Welcome to North Texas, were the houses are cheep and 95% of the time all BRICK. Most of the time they leave just enough left over brick to circle a tree but this house is nuts with all the brick. I bid $800. $200 for the back yard patio, retaining wall and stone steps. $400 for the house..and $200 for the ladder work..gutters, chimney's and sofits. Was told I was $300 over his highest quote. $500.00 is tempting, if I can do it in 10 hours or less that is at Least $50 an hour. Do I counter and take the job??? I explained what and how I work, the equipment I use and the steps I would take to do it right the 1st time. In my mind my price is fair...but then again my wife thinks my mind was lost many years ago..so who knows

Dan

That means I am new to the profession, I have spent the last few months building my trailer with the tools necessary and reading this site cover to cover to be able to do any job I come across. I want to offer the best work possible at a competitive and mutually fair price for for the service that can be referenced and built upon if asked by neighbors " how much did it cost" . He is in realty however and wants to flip the house, so my number fair or not may be cutting into his margin. So I have yet to do anything with his counter. It would be a great learning experience either way to do it for nothing just to gain some knowledge.

Dan

Just my .02.....does Mr. Flipper want the total profit or is he willing to risk having to really cut into the profit to replace/repair what the $125 guy does? SELL HIM ON YOUR PROFESSIONALISM - as he uses you more and more often, maybe you can cut him some slack every 5th or 10th house or so but never on the first one! You'll never hear from him again.

Just my .02.....does Mr. Flipper want the total profit or is he willing to risk having to really cut into the profit to replace/repair what the $125 guy does? SELL HIM ON YOUR PROFESSIONALISM - as he uses you more and more often, maybe you can cut him some slack every 5th or 10th house or so but never on the first one! You'll never hear from him again.

Good points!

I agree 100%..I was referred to him so that should mean something..Is my bid fair? or am I a little over...Should I stay or Should I go.....what would the Clash do???

I think it's more than fair. The place will look great and much more apealing to potential buyers when your done.

$1500 job up here.

$50/hr is a fast track to the poor house. A business owner is really only supposed to take 20% or so of the gross. An owner operator can take maybe 50%. So your actual pay would be $10/hr to $25/hr. Now factor that you don't really work 40 hrs a week when you account for rain, drive times, slow work periods etc.

$1500 job up here.

$50/hr is a fast track to the poor house. A business owner is really only supposed to take 20% or so of the gross. An owner operator can take maybe 50%. So your actual pay would be $10/hr to $25/hr. Now factor that you don't really work 40 hrs a week when you account for rain, drive times, slow work periods etc.

There you go again, Fenner, trying to reel reality back in.

$1500 job up here

It would be more then that here for a Job of that magnitude. I don't know what to tell you about this job. I couldn't imagine doing the whole job for only $500 unless he wants a quick "Blow and Go" job just to clean it up a little. If your going to do it for that amount I would make sure all the gutters look good, Give the house a good rinsing along with the patio's etc. and use some stain remover to clean up the rust and other stains..then out. If that works for him then you can do it for the price he wants..if not you'll be there for many hours and hating every minute of it.

Edited by John T

The thing about the trades is that it's all just about odds. Like betting on horses, you can make money betting on horses even if you are right only 30% of the time. Some people will just never be sold on anything other than price.